Upgrades

Talk about anything you like here: as long as it's technical, doesn't fit into the other categories and is within the rules. Questions and discussions about operating systems, programming, websites, hosting, ADSL etc. are particularly welcome here.
Steve
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by Steve » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:50 pm

This wasn't the exact one I bought which I think had more memory (2gb) and ati express graphics but can't remember the details. Will try to dig them out.

But the friend does lots of graphical presentations and video work and is really pleased with the performance.
He ached all over. It wasn't just that his brain was writing cheques that his body couldn't cash. It had gone beyond that. Now his feet were borrowing money that his legs hadn't got, and his back muscles were looking for loose change under the sofa cushions.
- Terry Pratchett

www.bliss.org.uk
Steve
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by Steve » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:57 pm

Found it Here

There is a tower version which is a little cheaper too, but I assume it's out of stock too as it doesn't appear under the search any more. Was £30 cheaper and also had the £75 cash-back and free shipping.

Edit ;-

Think it was the same as THIS but without the screen. Price was £457.07 inc vat with £75 cash back from HP
He ached all over. It wasn't just that his brain was writing cheques that his body couldn't cash. It had gone beyond that. Now his feet were borrowing money that his legs hadn't got, and his back muscles were looking for loose change under the sofa cushions.
- Terry Pratchett

www.bliss.org.uk
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:14 pm

Like I said - graphically challenged - o.k. for multimedia presentations I guess :wink: but no way it could handle modern games - after all it's an integrated video chipset on the motherboard after all - could be upgraded but that would destroy the price......... :?
Jim

.....I'm Sorry But I Can't Do That Dave.....
studioeng
Experienced
Experienced

Post by studioeng » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:23 pm

On the topic of CPUs; assuming you compare two chips approx the same speed/spec; which would be better for gaming?? Intel Core 2 Duo or AMD Athlon 64 x2??
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:30 pm

Unfortunately all the comparisons that I've seen say that the Intel is quite a bit ahead :cry:

Don't know if it backs this up or not :? but see here :-

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/cpu/charts.html

....but then again you need to factor in value/price-performance as well......
Jim

studioeng
Experienced
Experienced

Post by studioeng » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:41 pm

I was goin to say, Intel is slightly more expensive than AMD; it's the question of whether or not this extra cost is justified; but I think the Core 2 Duo chips out peform the Athlon64 x2s by almost double... :?
eMuNiX
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by eMuNiX » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:39 pm

I should be able to test the performance this weekend. Someone has given me their machine to fix and it is pretty much the same spec as I'll be going for. Once I finish removing all the spyware, trojans and viruses that is ;) This machine is riddled with badness, it wouldn't even boot when it was given to me. One person who looked at it sucked air through their teeth and said "new HDD required" pfffft shows what you know. So far I've cleared a rootkit that kept giving a BSOD, a few hundred spy/malware and after only 5 minutes of virus scan 80 viruses found. Little wonder the poor thing didn't work.
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:01 am

Topic split to continue discussion of Malware problem on own thread

Discussion on Malware issues can be found here :-

viewtopic.php?t=1162
Jim