VERY problematic laptop

Talk about anything you like here: as long as it's technical, doesn't fit into the other categories and is within the rules. Questions and discussions about operating systems, programming, websites, hosting, ADSL etc. are particularly welcome here.
gazzer
Regular
Regular

VERY problematic laptop

Post by gazzer » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:31 am

Well, my cousin has messed up her laptop, and it is as slow as (to coin Blackadder) an asthmatic ant with heavy shopping.

At first, I thought I'd isolated the problem - it seemed the agp440.sys files (or something along those lines) was causing the bootup to be really slow (taking around an hour to boot to the desktop). After following the M$ (lack of) knowledge base, it managed to get to the desktop, but then all it displayed was the background picture, and took at least 10 minutes to do everything.

I though "I know, I'll try a repair frm a Windows CD," so I popped in a CD and did a repair. Now here is the annoying part. It is now 4:30am on the 15th. I started the repair install at around 10pm on the 13th. :'(

Any ideas? Its managed to do the repair and got to the desktop, but is now just hanging there, and the little sand timer comes up whenever i move the mouse over the taskbar. Maybe it'll let me load a folder if I click it and wait for about 2 hours...!

Any ideas guys?

EDIT: It's a Toshiba T9000 if that helps.
Martyn
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by Martyn » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:25 am

Do you get the same effect when booting into safe mode?

I had a similar type problem with a desktop once. This was caused by faulty sectors on the hard drive. There weren't faulty enough to get flagged as bad sectors but the sectors had to be read quite a few times before it was successful. Also the hard drive SMART system was showing a rising count.
Mugwump's Origo Repair CD
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:23 am

Like Martyn I suspect a flakey disk is causing multiple retries/timeouts - try booting a Linux Cd or equivalent to try to eliminate the disk as the problem and then if the CD boots o.k. and you can access the hard disk without issue then it could be reinstall windows time.......

....might also be worth trying a floppy bootable disk check util.
Jim

.....I'm Sorry But I Can't Do That Dave.....
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:56 am

Jim

.....I'm Sorry But I Can't Do That Dave.....
gazzer
Regular
Regular

Post by gazzer » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:48 pm

Cheers for the suggestions guys - I am away this weekend but I will try what you have said when I get back