TV switched on - ADSL Line drops

Talk about anything you like here: as long as it's technical, doesn't fit into the other categories and is within the rules. Questions and discussions about operating systems, programming, websites, hosting, ADSL etc. are particularly welcome here.
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:43 pm

What's the relative position of the router/extension cable to the TV ? - TV's are pretty monstrous magnetic sources (+RFI of course) :shock:
Jim

.....I'm Sorry But I Can't Do That Dave.....
neilius
Regular
Regular

Post by neilius » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:45 pm

Don't throw the old TV away, give it away! Freecycle it! http://www.freecycle.org 8)
SyBorg
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by SyBorg » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:48 pm

At the start of this saga the tv was in the master bedroom and the router in the spare room. About 6 metres away in a straight line. The problem occured. I moved it into the spare room thinking that it might be the phone line near the TV in our room - TV now 2 metres from router, problem occurs.
I've now moved the router back downstairs to the master BT socket in the living room, which must be about 10 metres away from the TV. To get reception in the spare room via wireless means disabling encryption and dropping to 11b (got a MAC filter on but I know!) -> This is a feature of the Billion 740x routers waiting for Firmware upgrade...

Going to post this and then switch the TV on.....
We learn something every day, and lots of times it’s that what we learned the day before was wrong.
—Bill Vaughan
SyBorg
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by SyBorg » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:51 pm

neilius wrote:Don't throw the old TV away, give it away! Freecycle it! http://www.freecycle.org 8)
Maybe I don't need to now :D TV on and the SNR dropped from 25 dB down to 24 dB. Switching it off it went up immediately to 25.5
This should be enough spare dB for now...
We learn something every day, and lots of times it’s that what we learned the day before was wrong.
—Bill Vaughan