DST - Don't Save Time

Talk about anything you like here: as long as it's technical, doesn't fit into the other categories and is within the rules. Questions and discussions about operating systems, programming, websites, hosting, ADSL etc. are particularly welcome here.
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

DST - Don't Save Time

Post by Neo » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:32 pm

As the latest Windows Update makes it way on to PCs...

Could the DST system be any more complicated and non-uniform across countries? :?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933360

In this day and age one would think things could be a bit more standardized :roll:
RouterTech Team and Founding Member
RouterTech Merchandise (UK)
No support via PM, please ask your questions on the forum!
SyBorg
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by SyBorg » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:35 am

It's a real pain in the leg. :o :)

I've got an application used around the world now in my company that helps people to work out the times in key locations at key dates for scheduling meetings etc (and you helped me with the fledgling code Neo).
It's getting to be quite a pain to keep it up to date as some of the locations decide on when they go to/from DST at the start of the year! Add to that the complications that MS have added into handling it in Windows (the lack of a useful API) and the maintenance becomes somewhat of a headache.
Most of our key systems are based in the US and the change to DST dates there this year has caused a lot of additional work. This is leading people to think that we should move all of the Global systems onto UTC and just leave them there.
We learn something every day, and lots of times it’s that what we learned the day before was wrong.
—Bill Vaughan
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:26 am

I remember the program well and I'm not surprised it makes things a lot harder for applications of that nature :x It's bad enough managing different time-zones without all the extra faffing about.

..and it doesn't help when you try to back-date something (via software) either :lol:
RouterTech Team and Founding Member
RouterTech Merchandise (UK)
No support via PM, please ask your questions on the forum!