Invisible object on desktop???

Talk about anything you like here: as long as it's technical, doesn't fit into the other categories and is within the rules. Questions and discussions about operating systems, programming, websites, hosting, ADSL etc. are particularly welcome here.
Steve
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Invisible object on desktop???

Post by Steve » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:03 am

This has me stumped!!

Working on my win XP Pro PC. Have discovered an invisible "object" on the desktop. It's positioned top of screen right of centre, about 3 icons wide, 2 icons deep.

I can't see it as such. The wallpaper appears correctly. It's as though there is an invisible "something" there. I only found it by accident. i dragged some files from an explorer window to the desktop, but couldn't drop them onto this specific area. Rather than the usual "copy here / create shortcut etc" menu which appears, over this area I just get a no entry sign??

If I right click on the area a menu appears (will post more details when I can) and if I select properties I get a window declaring it to be a firefox http document with the following URL http://cpk3.easy78.cn/count/count.asp?m ... =cpk3_0803

I can only find one reference on the web under google.

Any suggestions welcome.

I have virus scanned today twice before I found this. Nothing showed up using McAfee AV8

Have run Spybot S&D other than tracking cookies it found nothing serious.

Is this another reason to stick to booting into Linux?

Edit :- Additional. Once I open the properties window, you can not shut it again. Nothing shows under task manager as a running app etc.
He ached all over. It wasn't just that his brain was writing cheques that his body couldn't cash. It had gone beyond that. Now his feet were borrowing money that his legs hadn't got, and his back muscles were looking for loose change under the sofa cushions.
- Terry Pratchett

www.bliss.org.uk
Steve
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by Steve » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:52 am

AVG free anti virus found a total of 8 trojan infected files. Deleted three, healed four, isolated the last in the virus vault.

Yah AVG!!
Boo McAfee!! AV8 had allowed the downloads, which I then scanned at the time etc, also did not detect them running etc.

Still problem averted.
He ached all over. It wasn't just that his brain was writing cheques that his body couldn't cash. It had gone beyond that. Now his feet were borrowing money that his legs hadn't got, and his back muscles were looking for loose change under the sofa cushions.
- Terry Pratchett

www.bliss.org.uk
PsyBio

Post by PsyBio » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:55 pm

Steve wrote:AVG free anti virus found a total of 8 trojan infected files. Deleted three, healed four, isolated the last in the virus vault.

Yah AVG!!
Boo McAfee!! AV8 had allowed the downloads, which I then scanned at the time etc, also did not detect them running etc.

Still problem averted.
Hello, Steve, I have exactly the same problem as yours! I'm on XP Home SP2. The only thing i have in mind is FLASHGET! Have you ever installed fashget on your machine? I think this happened after trying to download flash animation from a website. I've removed flashget just after that because i couldn't click on File and Edit menus and after restart I realized this invisible object was over every program. The problem is that mine is in the upper left corner of the desktop an it's "always on top" so I cant click on menus and buttons situated upper left on any maximized program! It's unbelievably irritating! I've scanned my computer with various anti-virus and anti-spy programs, I've NOD32 3.0.642 with latest defs resident on my computer - nothing - nor virus, nor spy, ad or whatever ware. Please, if you have any solution it will be greatly appreciated!
Steve
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by Steve » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:53 pm

It's been a while, and my memory is a little unreliable, but the free AVG anti virus solved it where others did not.

I have in the past had flashget (firefox addon) but have not seen it cause problems although did'nt really help me either so got rid of it.

Best solution I found was to download a copy of Ubuntu and install it along side windows XP as a duel boot.

After a while you realise you don't use XP anymore.
- Terry Pratchett

www.bliss.org.uk