ADSL2MUE stops when warm

Talk about anything you like here: as long as it's technical, doesn't fit into the other categories and is within the rules. Questions and discussions about operating systems, programming, websites, hosting, ADSL etc. are particularly welcome here.
Radiotech
Regular
Regular

ADSL2MUE stops when warm

Post by Radiotech » Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:19 pm

I'm using The RouterTech Firmware v2.3 and After about 90 minuets the modem stops working, I assume this is a hardware related problem but I thought I would run it by everyone just in case.
The exact fault is what I describe as thru put in other words physically the modem has all green LED’s for both the internet and DSL, and a green indicator on the setup page in the RouterTech Firmware interface, it appears to be working as a modem but no thru put to the internet, the Ethernet LED flickers when you try to access a webpage for example and the internet LED flickers slightly too, rebooting of even totally switching it off has no effect until it is left too cool for a few hours, any help would be appreciated.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:33 pm

Check your power supply.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
Radiotech
Regular
Regular

Post by Radiotech » Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:01 am

Thanks for the reply, if the power supply was faulty surely this would stop the unit completely?
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:55 am

No it wouldn't. Read through this forum about the 2MUE. Inadequate/faulty power supplies cause all sorts of problems on this router. With a 2MUE, the first point of call for problems is the power supply.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
Radiotech
Regular
Regular

Post by Radiotech » Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:02 am

Ok many thanks I'm actually using the modem now and have taken the top off and what looks like a regulator transistor or IC centre in the board gets really hot no heat sink apart for the PCB track it’s self I'm going to run it until it packs up and then I will freeze the hottest components first, I’ll let you know how I get on any way Merry Christmas.
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:27 am

yes that'll be the 3.3V regulator, it gets too hot to touch! I've replaced one of those that had failed, with similar part no but with big heat sink on my 'test modem'.
Radiotech
Regular
Regular

Post by Radiotech » Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:48 am

The regulator is too hot to touch for sure, I have the modem out of the box as I type this and I'm on line with it too I will see if it cuts out now more air round it, if so then I may have to do a simulator trick, but not seen any 3.3v regulators only the adjustable ones, still a small heat sink may do the trick, any reason why 3.3v rather then the usual 5.5v
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:24 am

I used this one
I have now replaced the surface mount 3.3V 1A regulator with an easier to fit chip with similar part no LD1117AV33

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/ ... KU=1087165
You can get higher current rating devices but watch out for the legs to be in the right order.

The Linksys PSU is not well regulated so there is generally quite a big voltag drop across this device
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:47 pm

Might get away with adding a VGA Chipset or RAM Chipset heatsink if it's purely temperature related - although it's almost certainly cheaper to swap out the regulater unless you have one to hand.... :?
Jim

.....I'm Sorry But I Can't Do That Dave.....
Radiotech
Regular
Regular

Post by Radiotech » Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:06 am

Thanks for the link for the 3.3v regulator, it started to play up after about 3hrs (without the covers) so I checked the voltage on the regulator it seemed fine, so I froze the CPU and it started working, in light of this I think I would be throwing good money after bad attempting any further investment on replacing parts to find it is the CPU especially for just a modem so I feel I will lay it to rest, many thanks for the help it is really appreciated, have a nice Christmas and New Year