Nice Little Bargin - ASUS EEEPC

Talk about anything you like here: as long as it's technical, doesn't fit into the other categories and is within the rules. Questions and discussions about operating systems, programming, websites, hosting, ADSL etc. are particularly welcome here.
Alan
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Nice Little Bargin - ASUS EEEPC

Post by Alan » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:46 pm

I Wanna Live 'till I Die!
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:56 pm

I have been following the ASUS EEEPC for some time, reading a preview and review a while ago. Seems suitable for new PC users or people needing something mobile (or perhaps even a spare lappy) but I was put off by the paltry 2GB solid-state HD and wireless (that's just me, I know :lol: And it's probably removable).
RouterTech Team and Founding Member
RouterTech Merchandise (UK)
No support via PM, please ask your questions on the forum!
Alan
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Alan » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:23 pm

Agree Neo, 2gb disk is a little on the small size :D, but as you say a spare lappy, or just a little machine to surf while watching TV, its ideal :D
eMuNiX
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by eMuNiX » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:33 pm

They are nice I showed one to the wife before Crimbo and she instantly fell for it. Sometime next year there should be a 10” screen version coming along aswell as coloured cases (well the screen back plastic with the rest in white). I’ll probably wait for those to be released before replacing her ailing Dell C610 (running SuSE exclusively so she won’t be phased by linux). 2GB is a bit small so carrying a 4GB USB stick would be a must if you want to do some work on the train etc, but as a tiny lappy that you can sling in your backpack and whip out at college/pub/friends it can’t be beaten.
jimp
Novice
Novice

A friend of mine has one

Post by jimp » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:34 pm

There are lots of rumours about future screen sizes - the 10 inch one is currently off the boil in favour of an 8.9 inch. I'm holding back until they fix it enough that the 900MHz celeron in the thing can be booted reliably at 900MHz, rather than the 600MHz it is currently stable at.

Also, I want one with a BIOS like this:
http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/09/asus ... ant-on-os/
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Thu May 01, 2008 12:37 pm

Was looking at the extended range of Eee PCs (some of the higher spec ones are tempting) but I find the "1p saving" offer by ebuyer a bit daft :lol: : http://www.ebuyer.com/product/143891
Alan
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Alan » Thu May 01, 2008 2:00 pm

Savings like that they will soon sell out :rofls:
eMuNiX
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by eMuNiX » Thu May 01, 2008 2:54 pm

Neo wrote:Was looking at the extended range of Eee PCs (some of the higher spec ones are tempting) but I find the "1p saving" offer by ebuyer a bit daft :lol: : http://www.ebuyer.com/product/143891
Mmm at this price (with or without the valuable penny) they are firmly kicking on the doors of better specced fully blown laptops, eBuyer have 3 sub £300 laptops with 1GB RAM, more storage and faster processing. Not looking such a good buy now.
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Thu May 01, 2008 3:52 pm

Alan wrote:Savings like that they will soon sell out :rofls:
LOL That's why they have limited them to 1 per customer :)
eMuNiX wrote:...they are firmly kicking on the doors of better specced fully blown laptops, eBuyer have 3 sub £300 laptops with 1GB RAM, more storage and faster processing.
Yes, and a laptop is easier to upgrade etc. :( Hopefully the prices might come down for the better specced Eee PCs...
Steve
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by Steve » Thu May 01, 2008 10:41 pm

Just overseen a couple of these ACER 5315 laptops. with £20 off with a promotional code at PCworld (not usually where I'd look) they're really quite good for the money. Nice feel to them etc....just a shame about the OS.

Edit:- makes them £280 delivered.
He ached all over. It wasn't just that his brain was writing cheques that his body couldn't cash. It had gone beyond that. Now his feet were borrowing money that his legs hadn't got, and his back muscles were looking for loose change under the sofa cushions.
- Terry Pratchett

www.bliss.org.uk
notinthisworld
Experienced
Experienced

Post by notinthisworld » Thu May 01, 2008 11:55 pm

eMuNiX
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by eMuNiX » Fri May 02, 2008 12:35 am

Steve wrote:Just overseen a couple of these ACER 5315 laptops. with £20 off with a promotional code at PCworld (not usually where I'd look) they're really quite good for the money. Nice feel to them etc....just a shame about the OS.

Edit:- makes them £280 delivered.
£10 cheaper than ebuyer, not bad. Wife wants a new laptop to replace the ageing Dell C610 (falling apart at the seams but still flying along under Linux), she really wants an EEEPC but having explained to her that she may have to scroll sideways on some website and that the screen is no bigger than the portable DVD player that I have, I think she would rather go for a laptop. Shame that Woolworths still have that 'pink' Medion laptop as she really wants a pink laptop. Screw the RAM, processor, graphics, storage, non-descript manufacturer......its PINK. :roll:
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Fri May 02, 2008 12:49 am

Pink ? - that is an "Eeeeeeeeeeeeh" PC surely....? :wink:
Jim

.....I'm Sorry But I Can't Do That Dave.....
Steve
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by Steve » Fri May 02, 2008 8:18 am

there are much better machines around for an additional £50 but if it's just surfing and some office work type stuff, it'll do fine. Don't know how they'll run under linux, but I'd have to try it if I buy one.
He ached all over. It wasn't just that his brain was writing cheques that his body couldn't cash. It had gone beyond that. Now his feet were borrowing money that his legs hadn't got, and his back muscles were looking for loose change under the sofa cushions.
- Terry Pratchett

www.bliss.org.uk