code 10 error...

Talk about anything you like here: as long as it's technical, doesn't fit into the other categories and is within the rules. Questions and discussions about operating systems, programming, websites, hosting, ADSL etc. are particularly welcome here.
gazzer
Regular
Regular

code 10 error...

Post by gazzer » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:54 am

sorry i haven't posted her in a while but i need your help

what has happened is basically my old hard drive started to die (write failures etc.) so i have cloned it to a new drive. after some initial teething problems, it now boots fine and works as expected, except now in the device manager (i should probably mention im using win xp) it reports a "code 10 device cannot start" error on my graphics card, which is an nvidia geforce 8800gts. after reinstalling the drivers and also letting windows update have a go, i cannot see anything else to do with it. also, throughout this i am actually using the very same graphics card to use windows, albeit the display doesn't refresh too quickly; ie there is no smooth movement when i drag a window for example.

any ideas guys? google has been relatively useless on this one.
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:22 am

Hi Gazzer,

When you cloned the new disk and then started using it as your primary boot disk did you make sure that it was configuer exactly the same way as the old disk - i.e. same disk channel and master/slave etc. - could possibly be a resource conflict.... :?
Jim

.....I'm Sorry But I Can't Do That Dave.....
gazzer
Regular
Regular

Post by gazzer » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:01 pm

I thought I had.... I'll go back and swap the sata cables round and see if that makes a difference! I'm pretty sure the old one didn't have jumpers on it but i'll dig it out and see if it did, thanks :)
Last edited by gazzer on Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:11 pm

gazzer wrote:I thought I had.... I'll go back and swap the sata cables round and see if that makes a difference! I'm pretty sure the old one didn't have jumpers on it but i'll dig it out and see if it did, thanks :)
Prrobably won't have jumpers involved with SATA (other than SATA Version/Compatibility) - just make sure it's on the same physical cable......
Jim

gazzer
Regular
Regular

Post by gazzer » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:12 pm

just swapped sata cables between the 2 drives and it is still the same. i seem to remember taking a jumper out of a drive but i cn't remember which one...

basically when i swapped them all round it went like this:

old HD taken out and cloned to new HD, new HD put in in its place.
second HD was an IDE and has also been replaced at the same time by a new HD which is a sata drive.

so i went from having 1 200gb sata and 1 40gb IDE to having 1 500gb sata and 1 80gb sata. could the problem lie in there somehwere?
biro
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by biro » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:47 pm

I would try it without the second HD, as could be an IRQ conflict with the new SATA device and the graphic card.

Or could of course be some of the cloned files where corrupt :!:
ImageImageImage
All my posts on RouterTech.org are Copyright RouterTech.org
G'Day Laura
gazzer
Regular
Regular

Post by gazzer » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:02 pm

hehe i've already tried it without the second HD as i had a theory maybe my psu didn't have enough power.... but it still did the same. and even if the cloned files were corrupt, i've reinstalled the graphics card drivers numerous times and also taken it out, made sure there were no dusty or faulty connectors and replaced it again... not looking good :/
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:04 pm

...I agree Biro and might also be worth checking in Device Mangler (Manager) and check out if it's still got any non-sata hard disk devices visible and if so remove them and reboot....
Jim

gazzer
Regular
Regular

Post by gazzer » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:18 pm

checked in the device manager and there are no IDE drives in the list... i'm beginning to think this is going to end with a complete reformat :(

i'm doing a virus scan and spyware scan just to make sure its not that
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:38 pm

...always worth a shot the old VS :)

Is this XP ? if so don't forget you can boot from the installation CD and attempt a repair of the system files without the need for a reformat and I "think" that you can probably even reinstall Windoze without a reformat but may be wrong..... :?

You can also F* into the boot menu and tell XP to log the boot process - the log file may have more info on the problem and where it occurs during the boot process.....
Jim

gazzer
Regular
Regular

Post by gazzer » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:44 pm

i've cracked it!

i uninstalled the graphics card, did a windows XP repair thing from the XP boot disc and then installed my gpu again - sorted!

thanks for all your help!
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:15 pm

Good News :D
Jim