JTAG/SERIAL COnnector - Soldering to PCB.....

Talk about anything you like here: as long as it's technical, doesn't fit into the other categories and is within the rules. Questions and discussions about operating systems, programming, websites, hosting, ADSL etc. are particularly welcome here.
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

JTAG/SERIAL COnnector - Soldering to PCB.....

Post by Shotokan101 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:16 pm

Just how difficult is the soldering exercise required to fit the necessary strip conector to a router PCB which doesn't have the item fitted but does have the pin locations accessible ?

If it's not too difficult then what's involved ?
Jim

.....I'm Sorry But I Can't Do That Dave.....
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:53 pm

How long is a piece of string?

If I had to do another ADSL2MUE JTAG I would use the minimum number of individual pins (5?) rather than a 14-way connector. It took me a long time to remove solder blocking the 0V connectors, to get all to line up!. I used fine tip solder iron and a 'solder sucker' and 'solder wick' - but the earth plane is a good heatsink. May also be possible to just solder solid core cable directly to the pad - and cutoff when the job done if just a one-off?

Oh and I've had a soldering iron for as long as I can remember - my specialty is perfect looking solders with no electrical connection (dry joints)!
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:00 pm

mstombs wrote:How long is a piece of string?
....Twice the distance from the middle to one end :wink:

Darn - and there was I hoping that all I had to do was get a strip and put a "Dod" of solder on the underside of each pin and then present to PCB and heat each pin in turn while applying a firm but even pressure :lol:
Jim

biro
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by biro » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:17 pm

The ground plane is a problem especially as the solder is probably 'lead free' with a higher melting temperature. Using 're-work' flux ( flux gets removed when the boards are cleaned ) or adding some fresh solder can help the solder flow a bit better.
ImageImageImage
All my posts on RouterTech.org are Copyright RouterTech.org
G'Day Laura
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:18 pm

biro wrote:The ground plane is a problem especially as the solder is probably 'lead free' with a higher melting temperature. Using 're-work' flux ( flux gets removed when the boards are cleaned ) or adding some fresh solder can help the solder flow a bit better.
Hi Biro - thanks for the feedback - unfortunately I'm not sure if it's in response to my last post or mstombs..... :oops:

....if mine are you implying that the "Dod Approach(tm)" might work provided the PCB points are adequately cleaned with flux remover prior to application ?

...if responding to mstombs mstombs then just ignore me :lol:
Jim