remote desktop/vnc audio

Talk about anything you like here: as long as it's technical, doesn't fit into the other categories and is within the rules. Questions and discussions about operating systems, programming, websites, hosting, ADSL etc. are particularly welcome here.
gazzer
Regular
Regular

remote desktop/vnc audio

Post by gazzer » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:48 pm

This is all on Windows:

Where I work, we are trying to think of a way to give remote users access to our internal phones...

How it works is we use a program called fluency, where people's numbers are added to groups, then when a customer calls, the phone(s) in that group ring.

I suggested making them add the external number to the group, but this will cost us money for each incoming call, as we will have to pay, per minute, for the redirection to an external number. So that's out.

We could however, implement a remote access, where a homeworker could remotely connect to a server and use fluency itself. The main problems are:
VNC does not support sound
Remote Desktop only natively supports sending sound from the host to the client, and not taking mic input from the client to the host

So basically, if you know of a Remote Access solution that enables the sending and receiving of sound as well as the desktop then please tell me!

Oh, and we can't use VPN's as our internal network is behind a DMZ, and we aren't really allowed to let external networks connect to it.. if you get me... (Basically I've been told that that is a no go area.)
SyBorg
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by SyBorg » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:36 pm

VPN Clients and VOIP?

We have some people trialing softphones that tie in to our main VoIP phone network.
We learn something every day, and lots of times it’s that what we learned the day before was wrong.
—Bill Vaughan
gazzer
Regular
Regular

Re: remote desktop/vnc audio

Post by gazzer » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:37 pm

gazzer wrote:Oh, and we can't use VPN's as our internal network is behind a DMZ, and we aren't really allowed to let external networks connect to it.. if you get me... (Basically I've been told that that is a no go area.)
:(