Google Chrome

Talk about anything you like here: as long as it's technical, doesn't fit into the other categories and is within the rules. Questions and discussions about operating systems, programming, websites, hosting, ADSL etc. are particularly welcome here.
SyBorg
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Google Chrome

Post by SyBorg » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:18 am

Anyone tried Google Chrome browser yet?

I had a go when it was launched last night but
1) It won't connect to the Internet
2) It crashed whenever I tried to looking at imported bookmarks.

Was wondering if anyone else has been able to sue it successfully.

I've now removed it and intended to reinstall to see if the installation had issues but I can now also add
3) Won't install from behind our company firewall. The install application obviously goes off to Google to get the real install files. So far I've not found an offline install option.
We learn something every day, and lots of times it’s that what we learned the day before was wrong.
—Bill Vaughan
Alan
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Alan » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:06 pm

No probblem here Sy.

Just downloaded it and posting from it now :D

First impression is good
I Wanna Live 'till I Die!
SyBorg
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by SyBorg » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:14 pm

SyBorg wrote:....sue it successfully
clearly this should have been 'use'. Suing I'm sure was covered by the end user agreement that I didn't read :wink:

Let us know what you think about it Alan. I want to know if it's worth still trying to get it working or to wait for a later beta. I've logged an issue with Google and we'll see if they come back with anything useful.
We learn something every day, and lots of times it’s that what we learned the day before was wrong.
—Bill Vaughan
Steve
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by Steve » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:07 pm

It's clear and easy to use. Seems to be geared very much around the use of web based apps, which whilst they may be the next big thing....I don't like the idea.

I'm just paranoid, and like to create and store my documents locally.

I've removed it for now. I know it's still a beta, but it looks so unfinished. Not very polished if you ask me. Still it's early days. Might have to check it out again when it's finished.
He ached all over. It wasn't just that his brain was writing cheques that his body couldn't cash. It had gone beyond that. Now his feet were borrowing money that his legs hadn't got, and his back muscles were looking for loose change under the sofa cushions.
- Terry Pratchett

www.bliss.org.uk
Alan
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Alan » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:28 am

I agree Steve, It's a very basic looking browser at the moment, not much work gone into the eye candy, some will like it for that reason. But I would imagine google will eventually have it looking like a Christmas tree :)
I Wanna Live 'till I Die!
eMuNiX
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by eMuNiX » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:42 am

Isn't it just another Firefox/Mozilla clone? As functional as it probably is it will take a really great browser to get me away from the perfection that Opera is.
Halloway

Post by Halloway » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:53 am

It's pretty good. It's quick and stable. Compare that to the IE8 beta I downloaded the other day. Everytime I opened the Favourites it crashed and finally ended up crashing my machine.

If and when I can used FF-like addons like Adblock then I could see myself using Chrome full time.
Techsolver
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Techsolver » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:27 am

So far impressions good, not using as default as the book marks aren't managed very well.

The home page with most accessed links with an image of the page is neat, and it is way faster than ff3 even with prefetch turned off. It also renders pages the way ff2 did, my web cam page has an embedded web page, ff3 always says it needs a plugin that it can't find (ff2 didn't do this). Chroma also handles the page correctly.

The incognito feature is a nice touch.
AK47

Re:

Post by AK47 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:21 pm

eMuNiX wrote:Isn't it just another Firefox/Mozilla clone? As functional as it probably is it will take a really great browser to get me away from the perfection that Opera is.
I am getting opera. :) I use chrome , explorer and firefox. I am testing opera if you like it that much.
AK47

Re: Re:

Post by AK47 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:52 am

AK47 wrote:
eMuNiX wrote:Isn't it just another Firefox/Mozilla clone? As functional as it probably is it will take a really great browser to get me away from the perfection that Opera is.
I am getting opera. :) I use chrome , explorer and firefox. I am testing opera if you like it that much.
Have used it for few days and it faster than my other browsers. Thanks.