Efficiency of Music Ripping Tools/Formats

Talk about anything you like here: as long as it's technical, doesn't fit into the other categories and is within the rules. Questions and discussions about operating systems, programming, websites, hosting, ADSL etc. are particularly welcome here.
neilius
Regular
Regular

Post by neilius » Thu May 18, 2006 11:33 pm

I've been encoding with CDex and the command-line LAME itself. The app really shouldn't make any difference as it's just a front end for the LAME encoder, so its all in the encoder really. It takes so long on my system because I've ramped the quality settings up as high as they'll go. Most people don't do that so experience much faster encoding speeds.
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Thu May 18, 2006 11:44 pm

Sorry Neil :oops: - can't get my head round q=0 being the highest quality :oops: so didn't spot the time implications for you :wink:

From what I've read so far the VBR with the MOD'ed LAME files with default ALT settings should give around the same quality (according to listening tests as 190kbps+ CBR but at lower file sizes.....

As I said I'm getting "hooked" n this now so I'll let you know how "MY Ears" feel about it ...... 8)

EDIT: plus the benefit of reduced (for you at least :D ) encoding times
Jim

.....I'm Sorry But I Can't Do That Dave.....
Steve
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by Steve » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:04 pm

Just found a USB turntable for converting vinyl to digital media.

http://www.theregister.com/2006/05/24/r ... turntable/

Thought it might be useful for some of our older audiophiles (audio - files get it :wink: )

That and it just looks like a neat gadget.
He ached all over. It wasn't just that his brain was writing cheques that his body couldn't cash. It had gone beyond that. Now his feet were borrowing money that his legs hadn't got, and his back muscles were looking for loose change under the sofa cushions.
- Terry Pratchett

www.bliss.org.uk
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:19 pm

Pretty cool Steve :D - but £120 though :? - plus it wouldn't handle my 78 collection natively :rofls:
Jim

SyBorg
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by SyBorg » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:48 pm

Shotokan101 wrote:Pretty cool Steve :D - but £120 though :? - plus it wouldn't handle my 78 collection natively :rofls:
78? I've got a still sealed 4-track tape somewhere :oops:
I've got to admit that I've never seen, let alone owned a player for it though :lol:
We learn something every day, and lots of times it’s that what we learned the day before was wrong.
—Bill Vaughan
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:58 pm

SyBorg wrote: 78? I've got a still sealed 4-track tape somewhere :oops:
:lol:
Probably best to keep it that way :wink:
Jim