Remote shutdown windows pc from router.

Talk about anything you like here: as long as it's technical, doesn't fit into the other categories and is within the rules. Questions and discussions about operating systems, programming, websites, hosting, ADSL etc. are particularly welcome here.
Steve
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Remote shutdown windows pc from router.

Post by Steve » Fri May 15, 2009 10:37 pm

Been looking into remotely shutting down a windows XP PC from a linux PC.

I found THIS link which seems to have got me pretty much what I wanted - not got it working yet due to zone alarm on the windows PC blocking it - but it should work from what I can see.

I am using Samba and the following :-
"net rpc SHUTDOWN -C "some comment here" -f -I x.x.x.x -U user_name%password"

I suspect zonealarm is set to trust the router IP (?) but have yet to check. Would it be possible to issue this type of command directly from the router?

Currently, my mission is nothing more exciting than to annoy the wife who is using the windows PC, but I can see a use for timing the command to run to shutdown specific machines at certain times.

Any suggestions on how / if this is possible.

Edit:- before I get any smart replies... I meant how the remote shutdown might be possible...not how / if it is possible to annoy the wife. I have this well and truly covered!
He ached all over. It wasn't just that his brain was writing cheques that his body couldn't cash. It had gone beyond that. Now his feet were borrowing money that his legs hadn't got, and his back muscles were looking for loose change under the sofa cushions.
- Terry Pratchett

www.bliss.org.uk