Sky Broadband Dynamic Line Management

Talk about anything you like here: as long as it's technical, doesn't fit into the other categories and is within the rules. Questions and discussions about operating systems, programming, websites, hosting, ADSL etc. are particularly welcome here.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Sky Broadband Dynamic Line Management

Post by thechief » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:52 am

If you're on Sky Broadband, you would be well advised to leave your router on for the next 7-10 days. They have started some DLM (Dynamic Line Management) stuff, and this will go on for at least 10 days. Turning your router on and off over this period would make it appear as if your line is unstable, and they will keep reducing the connection speed. I noticed my already slow 2.5meg connection reduce steadily to 1.5meg over the last 3 days, and checked the Sky forums for clues. I then called Sky, and they confirmed that the DLM is on, and has pegged my line at 1.5meg (for the time being). After the DLM stuff is over, it will return to the original speed (or even a higher speed) it is alleged. We shall see ...
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
eMuNiX
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Re: Sky Broadband Dynamic Line Management

Post by eMuNiX » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:36 pm

I've heard of DLM reducing line speeds by quite a lot, I'm too close to the exchange with too high sync for it to be used on my line. Their normally quite good at listening to their customers though, they improved the ping on my line by lower the max delay from 32 to 8, but if your not a gamer then that won't matter.