Ubuntu 9.10

Talk about anything you like here: as long as it's technical, doesn't fit into the other categories and is within the rules. Questions and discussions about operating systems, programming, websites, hosting, ADSL etc. are particularly welcome here.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Ubuntu 9.10

Post by thechief » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:42 pm

Here's an in-depth look at Ubuntu 9.10: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/ubuntu-ka ... 31743.html

Conclusion: stay with Ubuntu 9.04!
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: Ubuntu 9.10

Post by mstombs » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:12 pm

Good advice, just a bit late!

The 9.10 64 bit release candidate upgrade completely broke my install, had to use a live disk to make final backup of disk contents, then a full reformat and install from fresh. It was too much to think the final version a week later would be much better!

I've since lost the desktop once, and had to re-install again. I've lost the desktop bar system icons twice, but now know how to delete the config and default is restored. I've had lots of problems with the network manager keeping same names for my network cards, but this was fixed with a kernel upgrade.

I downloaded the latest redhat DVD and since threatening my Ubuntu install with that it has been better behaved.

Only this weekend there was a 65MB download with a new kernel (second upgrade since 9.10 released) and patches for loads of things. Hung on reboot after install, but a power cycle fixed that!

Definitely bleeding edge - but I'm sticking with it for now...
eMuNiX
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by eMuNiX » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:10 pm

Using Kubuntu 9.10 with no problems at all, apart from the fact I can't get the gnome-desktop-environment to install because of dependency problems that have no installation candidates. Something is wrong with the Gnome implementation for sure. KDE 4.3.3 is rather nice though :)
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:32 am

How do you change the machine hostname in Ubuntu 9.10? There's definitely a prompt during the server install, but I don't remember the PC version, and having more than one machine with name ubuntu not clever...

You would think there would be Network properties box? Not installed, so install "gnome-network-admin", then find why it is not installed by default - it doesn't work!

You can change the hostname temporarily with "sudo hostname new_name" but it doesn't stick.

The Answer which works for me: edit /etc/hostname with "sudo gedit /etc/hostname"

How do you use Wireshark? Install it with the package manager it goes in the menu but it won't run because user doesn't have root privileges to access interfaces. You really don't want to run such a program with "sudo wireshark" incase it tramples over your system files.

A good thing about Ubuntu is that there are lots of users, so pretty likely someone else has posted a solution, for Wireshark workarounds see

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/483106
tiepolo
Experienced
Experienced

Post by tiepolo » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:02 pm

I wouldn't be so negative about ubuntu 9.10 - there were problems in the first weeks, but it is now working quite well - unfortunately the most problematic issues are on grub2, the bootloader, and they are not easy to solve for newbies. In any case a fresh install on a system with 1 only hard disk works like a charm.

Paolo
Paolo
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:39 pm

I am still using it - and after about 5 kernel upgrades it is now behaving well, but I suspect the upgrade experience would have put most off. I also now have a server clean install which hasn't had nearly so many problems - no graphical Gui and Gnome to worry about! I am not impressed with the fact they have left the Grub version as "1.97 beta4" or something - why not "V 2.0 Ubuntu3"?. Various change setup things (startup manager for example) didn't work with Grub 2, and my hardware doesn't need it - but the "upgrade" trashed the existing grub, and a clean re-install upgraded it. I have uninstalled all the start-up splash screens, so I can now see/read the boot messages if/when it hangs - this also takes seconds off boot time!
tiepolo
Experienced
Experienced

Post by tiepolo » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:22 pm

the new grub is problematic for people having pc with more hard disk - I believe ubuntu people don't really have an idea of problems users can find with a new bootloader until they go "on the market", so they decided to test on people, which is not a wonderful idea; The same happens with fedora - this is the price to pay to have a cutting edge distribution.

The main advantage I can see in the new grub is you shold be able to boot cd images without burning cds - this will reduce dramatically my lower and lower cd consumption...

Paolo
Paolo
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:19 am

tiepolo wrote:the new grub is problematic for people having pc with more hard disk
From where I am standing, this is a fatal flaw.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
Kieran
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Kieran » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:18 pm

I've stayed with 9.04. Like you chief, I took one look at the issues people were reporting and the likelihood that with my setup I too would experience them and stayed put.
Kieran
"Indeed!"
Invaluable links: Forum Rules | Networking Guides | FAQ | Site Search | Forum Search <-- Use it or feel my wrath!
No support via PM, please ask your questions in the forum!
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:28 pm

I have been running the 9.10 64 bit version for some time now without problem, there's been lost of kernel and package updates which seem to have sorted it out. But I guess it may still mean the 9.10 install CD is still going to be a problem for some, but maybe 10.04 will be a good one for all.
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: Ubuntu 9.10 now 10.04

Post by mstombs » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:07 am

Well its nearly time for bitching about Ubuntu 10.04 LTS - the Lucid Lynx

The first one is how to put the Window control buttons back into their normal place...

Code: Select all

gconftool-2 --set /apps/metacity/general/button_layout --type string "menu:minimize,maximize,close"
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:58 am

You live at the bleeding edge! :shock:
eMuNiX
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Re: Ubuntu 9.10 now 10.04

Post by eMuNiX » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:33 pm

mstombs wrote:Well its nearly time for bitching about Ubuntu 10.04 LTS - the Lucid Lynx

The first one is how to put the Window control buttons back into their normal place...

gconftool-2 --set /apps/metacity/general/button_layout --type string "menu:minimize,maximize,close"
10.04 LTS beta 1 released, I might just get me some of that at the weekend :) Have they fixed the pulseaudio issues yet I wonder, took me ages to get sound running again with 9.10.

Another distro I have been looking at is Igelle, certainly reading through this blog it is a bit more different than your average distro.
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:24 pm

As thechief guessed I am running the alpha/beta, the final version is not due out till the end of April, and lots of changes happening at the moment (84 package updates available since yesterday), but I think it is working much better than the last one at this point.

Linux 2.6.32-17-generic #26-Ubuntu SMP Sat Mar 20 02:23:45 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Have had an issue with Grub - still not quite V2, but they have dropped the "beta" tag!

Sound is working, but was before - maybe still got that patch in place to stop the 'clicking' I had with 9.10 ...
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:14 am