Max-DSL Results so far....

Talk about anything you like here: as long as it's technical, doesn't fit into the other categories and is within the rules. Questions and discussions about operating systems, programming, websites, hosting, ADSL etc. are particularly welcome here.
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:52 pm

It would fit the standard Gain vs Freq graph that I know and love (which has a gradient of 6 dB per octave) if it were 6dB, markybrooknow...
RouterTech Team and Founding Member
RouterTech Merchandise (UK)
No support via PM, please ask your questions on the forum!
The Local Ned
Novice
Novice

Post by The Local Ned » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:19 am

Kieran wrote:Am I right in spotting your DS margin is only 6db for the Max-DSL line? That seems low, on the borderline in fact. It's a good job you can connect ok. Is it steady with no disconnects?
This sounds corny as hell , but owing to the flaky nature of safecoms finest , I am unable to tell a disconnect from a DHCP loss right now.:oops:

OTOH there has been NO loss of connection at all, :D and it hasnt synced below 2304 , BT speedtest just gave me afigure of 1972 there as well , so it seems to be steady for now.

Is there any log I can post for you guys to peruse ?

edit- no drops late night early morning so far ,and sice I changed torrent clients ( bye azureus ) my constant reboots/crashes have gone too....
fao ALAN - using gart2-4115 here mate :)
SHOTO - dhcp loss, - local connection seems to freeze,and on ipconfig /all it gives me no connection with dhcp server can be made or similar mate.

Eds.
Last edited by The Local Ned on Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
1. Hard reset the router.

2. Pray that it works.

3. If it doesn't.
Get drunk , grab a hammer
and let gravity do the rest.
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:28 am

Ned - what's a DHCP Loss :? :?:
Jim

.....I'm Sorry But I Can't Do That Dave.....
The Local Ned
Novice
Novice

Post by The Local Ned » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:30 am

:?:
see above shoto, sorry mate, included answer in the edit :oops:

2. Pray that it works.

3. If it doesn't.
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:40 am

Does setting the IP to be static get round the DHCP going belly up? Or perhaps the router doesn't just loose the ADSL connection and instead locks up altogether preventing all communication between it and the outside world? It's possible the router crashes if the SNR drops too low for too long...

I suppose if you lose the PC-to-router connection it doesn't really matter if the router is 'online' or not :(
The Local Ned
Novice
Novice

Post by The Local Ned » Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:04 am

The ADSL led hasnt yet gone off I think,at least I have never noticed it doing this,so I think it might just be the fact I am a total twit when it comes to setting up routers :)

I really should read up on this...one of the many reasons I havent sat my MCSE yet :(

2. Pray that it works.

3. If it doesn't.
The Local Ned
Novice
Novice

Post by The Local Ned » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:55 pm

Neo wrote:Does setting the]IP to be static get round the DHCP going belly up? Or perhaps the router doesn't just loose the ADSL connection and instead locks up altogether preventing all communication between it and the outside world? It's possible the router crashes if the SNR drops too low for too long...
...Have tried most possible configurations neo, but I will try once again,I forgot to mention that this type of problem did happen before I started Max dsl on the ordinary 512k connection so it might not be connection based and could - as you suggested - have something to do with the routers configuration ( namely me :) and my technical ineptness ) or lack of - should I say.

So far this site has been invaluable and has numbed the pain caused by SafecoNs poor software.Keep the good work going lads.

2. Pray that it works.

3. If it doesn't.
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:43 pm

I'm sure you aren't nearly as thick as you claim to be, Ned ;)

If setting the IP to be static doesn't do the trick then it might be worth monitoring the connection to see if the drop coincides with something else (like heavy p2p/upnp use or whatever) or happens at a particular time.
Alan
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Alan » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:16 pm

Ned

If you feel it may be something you have changed in the routers settings. Maybe it would be worth resetting the router to factory defaults, and putting in just your basic details, ISP user/password etc, and see how it behaves then.

Just a thought :wink:
I Wanna Live 'till I Die!