Testing your connection

Talk about anything you like here: as long as it's technical, doesn't fit into the other categories and is within the rules. Questions and discussions about operating systems, programming, websites, hosting, ADSL etc. are particularly welcome here.
jimp
Novice
Novice

Testing your connection

Post by jimp » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:18 pm

I noticed a project which provides a java/javascript tester for network connections. It seems to be aimed at US net neutrality type stuff, but most of the results are pretty general, and it provided some information which shed some light on the problem I have been having with my ADSL connection here. This is the site:
http://netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/index.html

The question it raised for me was about network packet buffering. Recently, since the new year, whenever I download anything large, interactive things like browsing and DNS lookups are seriously affected. The results I get from the above tests give over 2 seconds for the packet buffer! My question is, is there any facility in the Routertech software which might enable me to identify whether this packet buffering is entirely the fault of the ISP, or partially a result of the router I am using? Alternatively, does the Routertech software allow me to specify my own sizes of packet buffers, as larger ones would at least improve my internet connection when doing large downloads?

I'm using a Broadcom based router at the moment, but I have access to a Routertech compatible one if anyone can suggest any useful tests which can be done using it.
rinachen

Re: Testing your connection

Post by rinachen » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:10 am

[Post contents removed by Neo (suspected spam)]