Backup like RUC using SSH

Talk about anything you like here: as long as it's technical, doesn't fit into the other categories and is within the rules. Questions and discussions about operating systems, programming, websites, hosting, ADSL etc. are particularly welcome here.
johnineedpls
Novice
Novice

Backup like RUC using SSH

Post by johnineedpls » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:03 am

Hi guys,

I'm trying to run RUC but because the ADSL2MUE router only accept ssh, i'm using putty to login myself.

How do I make backup like what RUC does below but through CLI that I execute myself?

# check-*.txt = check summary and router information. This can be very useful as it will effectively backup some of your router's most important settings.

# env-*.txt = You router's environment - this file can be used with PC-Tool to recover your router if something goes wrong during an upgrade, so please keep it safe.

# *_current_config.bin = Your current router configuration.

# *_default_config.xml = The default router configuration.

# *_mtd3.bin = The router's MTD3 partition.

Thanks
John
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: Backup like RUC using SSH

Post by mstombs » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:03 am

The ruc automates various methods you can find, and transmfers binary files using http - you can also use tftp.

Most important might be to save the text output of

Code: Select all

cat /proc/ticfg/env
which are the router specific env vars including your mac addresses etc. You need to prepend "setenv " to each line to convert to PC-Tool loadable script.
johnineedpls
Novice
Novice

Post by johnineedpls » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:15 am

I would rather use the RUC if I can, as I'm not familiar with Linux.

Is there any way to run RUC where the router only has SSH?

Or any way to enable telnet once I SSH in?

Thanks
John
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:49 am

I think the RUC only uses telnet, and if the utelnetd in your router is not enabled, you will have no option but to get your hands dirty.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
johnineedpls
Novice
Novice

Post by johnineedpls » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:56 pm

I tried running utelnetd but the device doesn't seems to be able to take it.

I manage to copy
cat /dev/mtdblock/0
cat /dev/mtdblock/2
cat /dev/mtdblock/3
cat /proc/ticfg/env -> the output in text file

But when I tried
# cat /dev/mtdblock/1 > /var/oldkernel.img
comes out with the error below
cat: read: Input/output error

Any idea how I can fix this?

Any other things I need to backup? Like the LED.conf (where is this file)?

Thanks
John
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:13 pm

Trying to copy the kernel block always leads to that error. There's nothing much that you can do about it. And I'm not sure you really want to back up the kernel anyway. After all, you should have a binary image of the firmware on the manufacturer's site, or any number of other places where firmware binaries are being mirrored. The things you really want to backup are the environment, the mtd3 partition, and the led.conf.

The led file is /etc/led.conf.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
johnineedpls
Novice
Novice

Post by johnineedpls » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:02 pm

Thanks thechief!

Great firmware!

I already upgrade this box to RT 4MB and will start configuring.

John
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:07 pm

Linksys never formerly released original V4.12 firmware for the ADSL2MUE, and only leaked beta 4.17 and 4.22 versions, but original firmware from router backups is available on the net, and there's also a V4.23 for Thailand somewhere.

V4.22 was ADSL2+ enabled, but various reports the hardware especially the power supply inadequate to support it properly.

I doubt you will now find any reference to the obsolete ADSL2MUE on the Linksys/Cisco website, they gave up on it years ago.

As most ADSL2MUE have 4MB flash, 16MB ram they do work well with RouterTech firmware, so important to check before flashing.

Note some examples of the ADSL2MUE only have 2MB flash 8MB ram, which is still sufficient to run the same original Linksys firmware.
johnineedpls
Novice
Novice

Post by johnineedpls » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:34 pm

I just bought WRT610N and need an ADSL modem. "Bought" this from a friend with a lunch.

I know this device is old and forgotton by Linksys. From forums as well, sees a lot of ppl having issues so 3rd party firmware is the way to go.

Will also flash WRT610N with DD-WRT. Just love to extend the functions of these devices.

The RT admin page seems to be very slow after I connected it to the ADSL, any reason or I just need to restart the modem ?

Btw, I saw USB in the features but not sure what it is for. Is it for USB modem only or USB Storage?

Thanks
John
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:33 pm

Re slow web interface

Did you reset to defaults (which does reboot) and edit or delete the quickstart connection?

Re usb

The ADSL2MUE can act as a usb modem or as a router with both usb and Ethernet in use at same time. Its a slave device only no use for connecting usb disks etc. It is disabled by default as most folk use Ethernet and it saves memory not to load the driver.
johnineedpls
Novice
Novice

Post by johnineedpls » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:54 pm

Yes I did follow the instructions and reset after upgrade. I clicked on quickstart but didn't do any changes in that. What I notice was, when I do any config changes from the web gui, the gui goes very slow afterwards (after I clicked "apply") until I restart the device. Internet speed doesn't seems to be affected though.

Oh well, I thought I can have 2 storage points :)

Btw, is the USB slave thing is a hardware thing, such as chip difference or power (if its just this, we can just use USB self powered device)?
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:39 am

As ever, the first step is always to post the output of the RT firmware's System Diagnostics. It saves a lot of speculation and possibly irrelevant questions/answers.
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:43 am

johnineedpls wrote:Btw, is the USB slave thing is a hardware thing, such as chip difference or power (if its just this, we can just use USB self powered device)?
The interface is designed only to be a slave in both hardware and software driver, but I have wondered if the only the only hardware difference is powering the 5V rail, but usb master's do also have control over the current allowed out of the usb port. So I think the biggest restriction is software, the router end is programmed with only that needed to respond to the Ti windows driver the 2 working together to create a virtual ethernet connection. I don't think there is a usb chip - just serial lines into the big Ti chip.
johnineedpls
Novice
Novice

Post by johnineedpls » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:59 am

I don't think the 5V rail matter in the Master/Slave thing as it's might just be the difference in powered USB port and non-powered port.

I can't seems to find much information in the almighty Google of the difference between Master and Slave either. Could this really be just a software/firmware thing?

If it is, wouldn't it be very interesting project to be able to turn the USB ports into Master and be able to make all USB port on routers into a possible USB Storage, printer, etc?

Dreaming of the days
John