problem with outgoing emails in MS outlook

Talk about anything you like here: as long as it's technical, doesn't fit into the other categories and is within the rules. Questions and discussions about operating systems, programming, websites, hosting, ADSL etc. are particularly welcome here.
honeykhan

problem with outgoing emails in MS outlook

Post by honeykhan » Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:55 am

Hello All,

this is my very first post to this Gr8 forum and hope u ppl won't disappoint me :cry: .

i have just configure new account in MS outlook, i can receive incomming POP3 emails but i have problem with out going emails, my AVG virus scane constantly sending messages back which i send to the receipient. i guess there is problem with SMTP Server, but some time it says it requires secure authentication for some outgoing server, i don't know what i am doing wrong.

here is my SMTP Settings in attachment

hope u guys can sort it out ....

::message from AVG scanner::

This is the AVG E-mail Scanner program.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that the message returned
below could not be delivered to one or more destinations.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
recipient email : This mail server requires authentication when attempting to send to a non-local e-mail address. Please check your mail client settings or contact your administrator to verify that the domain or address is defined for this server.

Your e-mail message is being returned to you in the next part of this message.
Attachments
SMTP settings.JPG
SMTP settings.JPG (22.43 KiB) Viewed 10057 times
To clean ur house using ur computer
-create a folder with tha name "clean house"
- right click on the folder and then "delete"

thts it.....
SyBorg
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by SyBorg » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:26 am

Welcome to RouterTech honeykhan :D

I've moved your post to the Free Chat (Technical) Section of the Forum as I think it fits there better.
We learn something every day, and lots of times it’s that what we learned the day before was wrong.
—Bill Vaughan
SyBorg
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by SyBorg » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:33 am

In terms of the SMTP access the first thing to try is to check the box for "requires authentication" in your screenshot.

Many services use the same username and password for POP and SMTP so try first with the default setting.
We learn something every day, and lots of times it’s that what we learned the day before was wrong.
—Bill Vaughan
biro
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by biro » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:34 am

Is the email account your trying to use an ISP account or something like hotmail , yahoo or gmail ?
Could also be that AVG requires setting up.

Edit
If it is an ISP email account is the ISP the one you are using for this PC.
I know I can recieve email @ work (BT) using my home ISP (freeserve) email but can't send it !
Last edited by biro on Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
All my posts on RouterTech.org are Copyright RouterTech.org
G'Day Laura
Alan
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Alan » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:45 am

I would suggest disabling AVG until you have got your email working, and then turn it back on.
Kieran
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Kieran » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:18 am

biro wrote:If it is an ISP email account is the ISP the one you are using for this PC. I know I can recieve email @ work (BT) using my home ISP (freeserve) email but can't send it !
Indeed; many ISP's block port 25 outgoing for everything but their own mailserver. You may find you need to use this to send.

If you are getting a message specifically about authentication, which it looks like you are, then you need to enter the username and password you use to POP your mailbox as authentication details for SMTP. You can do this by ticking the box that says to use the same details as for incoming mail.
Kieran
"Indeed!"
Invaluable links: Forum Rules | Networking Guides | FAQ | Site Search | Forum Search <-- Use it or feel my wrath!
No support via PM, please ask your questions in the forum!
Steve
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by Steve » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:40 am

I have found the same thing when trying to send mail out via my BT account. The account is now a pay as you go account, switched from being a BT broadband account when I changed my ISP (many changes ago)

I currently connect to the internet via ADSL (not provided by BT) and can use the BT webmail service by logging into the webpage, I can also download mail using Outlook.

In order to send from a local client (outlook etc) I have to actually establish a dial up connection to their network...even though I'm still connected via ADSL

Edit:- additionally, BT confirmed that they required me to be connected directly to them (not via a different ISP) for otgoing mail to work. This may or may not be correct as there was something of a language problem between myself and the call centre employee I spoke to. :roll:
He ached all over. It wasn't just that his brain was writing cheques that his body couldn't cash. It had gone beyond that. Now his feet were borrowing money that his legs hadn't got, and his back muscles were looking for loose change under the sofa cushions.
- Terry Pratchett

www.bliss.org.uk
honeykhan

Post by honeykhan » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:05 pm

thank you, for your prompt reply but all i am getting the following message from AVG E-mail Scanner Program when i send email to someone.

This is the AVG E-mail Scanner program.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that the message returned
below could not be delivered to one or more destinations.

*****@hotmail.com: This mail server requires authentication when attempting to send to a non-local e-mail address. Please check your mail client settings or contact your administrator to verify that the domain or address is defined for this server.

Your e-mail message is being returned to you in the next part of this message.

i guess this might be some of AVG problem ??

Email address 'removed' by biro for privacy !

thts it.....
SyBorg
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by SyBorg » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:09 pm

As Alan suggested, try disabling AVG and sending again.
If you still get an error about authorisation then it is not AVG. Have you tried ticking the box about authenticating as suggested by myself and Kieran?
—Bill Vaughan
honeykhan

Post by honeykhan » Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:26 pm

yah, i have now checked the box "Use same settings as my incoming emails" & Also checked "my outgoing server (SMTP) requires authetication" , right now my inbox send email successfully :) but let me check it out if it works contineously, i guess , initiall my internet connection was even bad, now it works fine so i am able to get my email sent . i will get back to you if something goes wrong again.

BTW tumbs up! for you all......

thts it.....
Grotius
Novice
Novice

Post by Grotius » Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:54 pm

Glad to see that you could get help at RouterTech. Obviously, the bods at another place do not have the answers. Perhaps you may wish to recommend this forum to your mates? :wink:
Fearless Fang - redeemed from The Dark Side (now The Dead Side). RouterTech Rocks!