Please Rescue My Router

Talk about anything you like here: as long as it's technical, doesn't fit into the other categories and is within the rules. Questions and discussions about operating systems, programming, websites, hosting, ADSL etc. are particularly welcome here.
alex51

Please Rescue My Router

Post by alex51 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:56 am

Hi everybody. first of all so sorry my bad english

I am using inca im-204w adsl router with 2.93 firmware as well! (Look)

when i was not in home i think my brother did something to router. Now i can not access to it (192.168.1.1 default getaway not answer). My ethernet led, power led are lightning and everythings look like fine. Anyway i didn't connect my router. What can i do :cry: please help me

eMuNiX
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Re: Please Rescue My Router

Post by eMuNiX » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:45 pm

First check all of the cables are good (not broken) and plugged in, maybe swap cables around. If that fails from a command prompt ipconfig /release, ipconfig /flushdns followed by ipconfig /renew, does that give you an IP address from the router? If you manually assign an IP address of 192.168.1.2 subnet 255.255.255.0 with the preferred DNS server 192.168.1.1 can you then get to the router? If all else is failing then reset the router to defaults, there should be a reset hole on the back of the router and start all over again, make sure you know the admin/password details for the router in default state and your ISP settings first though.
alex51

Post by alex51 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:34 pm

eMuNiX thnx for your reply.

I chacked my cable and try other one. It has not any problem and i can use same cable with this router (my friend router)
I follow your steps and reset many times but same again.

My ethernet card and router's ethernet and power led lightning also at begining wlan led lightning in 1 second.

Still i can not access :(

thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:31 pm

The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
alex51

Post by alex51 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:33 pm

thechief, i followed your instructions.

i changed my ip to static 192.168.1.3 but
"4. Wait for approx 2-6 seconds (you only have a small window of opportunity here) OR until Windows says that the 'network' is connected."
this step never done. i tried toolinit also and several times. as a result PCTool did not take 192.168.1.1

and toolinit did not continue after from that

thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:39 pm

I think you're stuck then. Your best option is to get a serial console cable. That will allow you to see what is happening with the boot process.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
alex51

Post by alex51 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:17 pm

thechief wrote:I think you're stuck then. Your best option is to get a serial console cable. That will allow you to see what is happening with the boot process.
Ok. where can i start? which one right place?
router_system.jpg
:(
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:27 pm

Do you have a backup of the env - which stores the bootloader IP address - it might not be 192.168.1.1, but the PC-Tool can usually tell you. If the env is trashed the bootloader can revert to a 169... address, D-Links can goto 5.8.8.8

The 4 pins for the serial console are clear - but you need a 3.3V serial adaptor - you can't connect direct to a PC.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:42 pm

alex51 wrote:
thechief wrote:I think you're stuck then. Your best option is to get a serial console cable. That will allow you to see what is happening with the boot process.
Ok. where can i start? which one right place?
firmware-faq/#serial_console

Please read the docs before posting.
alex51

Post by alex51 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:50 pm

mstombs wrote:Do you have a backup of the env - which stores the bootloader IP address - it might not be 192.168.1.1, but the PC-Tool can usually tell you.

The 4 pins for the serial console are clear - but you need a 3.3V serial adaptor - you can't connect direct to a PC.
Pc tool does not tell me any program reach it but i know it might 192.168.1.1
http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cac ... vcpmBJ1YnA

if i find 3.3v serial port adaptor and connect cable from router to pc is it work? are we sure :roll:

i saw same problem 2 years ago because of wrong firmware upload. i sent it to technical services and they said to me only right firmware uploaded without opened.

@thechief i read it but all of ebay links were removed
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3076
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:17 pm

Try
this link,
or
this link,
or
this link.

Of course, I can't guarantee any of them, since I haven't used them, although some of them (white with cable) look familiar.

This one looks like the one that I bought a while back.

If you're feeling adventurous, then search this forum or Neo's site for how to build a serial console cable from a Nokia DKU-5 USB cable.
kngtrider
Novice
Novice

Post by kngtrider » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:56 am

If the env is trashed the bootloader can revert to a 169... address, D-Links can goto 5.8.8.8
Haven't heard the 5.8.8.8 one before, but you are right the bootloader IP can vary from the default IP set for the unit and the vendor may not want to change the bootloader IP or might not be aware thta they can or need to change it.

Broadcom based units have a basic 'rescue' flash page thats tied to the system that runs on the bootloader IP, not the default IP but on some hw it will come up anyway if the system cant boot.

I found this out the hard way while reviewing a couple of modem/routers where I managed to trash the firmware and even the vendors themselves didn't know about this and either took the units back and fixed them themselves or put the serial header on, fixed them and sent back to me. Found out about the rescue pages after the fact for one of them...

Linksys WAG200G for example defaults to 169.254.87.1 but its 192.168.1.1 by default

Others set to use 10.0.0.x (many modems in Australia use 10.0.0.138 as the Gateway's IP) will also default to 192.168.1.1

I have seen routers use .40 also out of the box Eg Motorola

If anyone is stuck, it would be good to find a way to get on the net and see or ask if anyone else has provided info about rescue IPs for a particular hardware before binning as unfixable or JTAGing a particular hardware, you might just get luck.y

----------
Editor
NitroWare.net
----------
Editor
NitroWare.net