Live chat anyone?

Talk about anything you like here: as long as it's technical, doesn't fit into the other categories and is within the rules. Questions and discussions about operating systems, programming, websites, hosting, ADSL etc. are particularly welcome here.
neilius
Regular
Regular

Live chat anyone?

Post by neilius » Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:37 pm

Hey guys,

I don't know why anyone else hasn't thought of this: How about a live IRC based webchat client on this site linked to a channel #routertech on whichever IRC network gets chosen to host it? Kind of like this one I set up for something else: http://www.neil.demolish.nu/laptop.htm

I'm sure you could make it's implimentation into this site a lot better than my feeble HTML efforts (done in notepad.exe!) but that should give you a rough idea of what I mean. Would make a really great addition imo.
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:46 pm

Hey neilius,

This subject did actually come up in April in a private discussion by the forum staff, but we didn't really come to a conclusion...some already use instant messaging services while others don't see the need for it...

The advantages of a certain Live Chat (manned in bot-like fashion) have always been somewhat dubious :roll:
RouterTech Team and Founding Member
RouterTech Merchandise (UK)
No support via PM, please ask your questions on the forum!
Alan
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Alan » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:54 pm

There was/is a live chat area on AT, but it was never used!
I Wanna Live 'till I Die!
eMuNiX
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by eMuNiX » Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:36 pm

There is one on another site that I use, www.barryboys.co.uk, but that is only used of an evening never in the daytime. Its unmoderated which might be a problem. Adslguide used to have one, again unmoderated, but there were quite a few ructions in there so it was dropped (plus a site that size you can have loads of people online at once so it can be unmanageable)
Kieran
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Kieran » Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:10 pm

Admin here are pretty busy so wouldn't have the time, even between us, to run a moderated IRC room. As we wouldn't want to run an unmoderated room under the RouterTech name (for obvious reasons) it is unlikely we will have one for the forseeable future.

If someone has a non-technical issue they wish to chat about they can PM an admin and most of us have a variety of chat clients (MSN, AIM etc.) and can provide the address should it be required.

Technical issues are best kept off private messaging or even open chat as they cannot be searched and so manning them increases workload answering things that have been answered before.
Kieran
"Indeed!"
Invaluable links: Forum Rules | Networking Guides | FAQ | Site Search | Forum Search <-- Use it or feel my wrath!
No support via PM, please ask your questions in the forum!