BT Infinity Broadband

Talk about anything you like here: as long as it's technical, doesn't fit into the other categories and is within the rules. Questions and discussions about operating systems, programming, websites, hosting, ADSL etc. are particularly welcome here.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

BT Infinity Broadband

Post by thechief » Fri May 06, 2011 1:37 pm

BT tells me that I can now get their "Superfast Infinity Broadband". Does anyone have any experience with this Infinity stuff, and is it worth switching from a very dodgy ADSL line (3.0 megs at best) to this?

PS: I am not too keen on a 40gb download limit, or on any "Home hub" that cannot run RouterTech ...
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
Alan
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: BT Infinity Broadband

Post by Alan » Fri May 06, 2011 2:09 pm

From what I have read, but Kieran should be able to confirm. If you go over to Infinity you will have to say goodbye to any Modem research you do! BT Infinity is VDSL, not ADSL, and so current modems will not work. They change your BT face plate so you will not connect to it with a phone cable , but a data cable instead. I first became aware of this when I noticed people selling their ADSL routers on Ebay, because they had converted to Infinity. Basic info can be found here http://btsupport.custhelp.com/app/answe ... /1963,2877
I Wanna Live 'till I Die!
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Fri May 06, 2011 4:02 pm

Hmm ... I think I'll give it a miss.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
Alan
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Alan » Fri May 06, 2011 4:48 pm

Thought you might Chief :D
I Wanna Live 'till I Die!
Kieran
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Kieran » Fri May 06, 2011 9:25 pm

BT Infinity is FTTC, which I've got. If you get it through another provider you don't have to use a home hub and you can use your own router to PPPoE via the provided modem and just use the router for routing. You won't regret moving :)
Kieran
"Indeed!"
Invaluable links: Forum Rules | Networking Guides | FAQ | Site Search | Forum Search <-- Use it or feel my wrath!
No support via PM, please ask your questions in the forum!
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Sun May 08, 2011 9:00 pm

I think I'll need to wait until Sky can provide FTTC broadband (and, I expect, at a more reasonable price too!).