laptop RAM

Talk about anything you like here: as long as it's technical, doesn't fit into the other categories and is within the rules. Questions and discussions about operating systems, programming, websites, hosting, ADSL etc. are particularly welcome here.
gazzer
Regular
Regular

laptop RAM

Post by gazzer » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:51 am

ok, basically my RAM slots in my laptop are playing up, and slot B isnt recognising the RAM in it, and both sticks of RAM work as I have swapped them around in slot A. the laptop is well out of warranty, so im not paying for new slots.

i was wondering whether or not that the limit to the amount of RAM supported on the laptop (which is 1gb) means that i would have to use 2x512mb or if i can use 1 single 1gb RAM module, the idea being that I can get rid of both my 256mb's and use 1 single 1gb (i want an upgrade anyway) in the slot that works.
Gzero
Regular
Regular

Post by Gzero » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:15 am

If its a dell, reseting the bios seems to work wonders for no reason at all. That seems to be dells solution to most pc problems: Reset Bios. You never know, might just work.
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:11 pm

which model laptop Gazzer ?
Jim

.....I'm Sorry But I Can't Do That Dave.....
gazzer
Regular
Regular

Post by gazzer » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:38 pm

inspiron 1100 - how do i reset the bios? i've already flashed it to the latest version afaik, the A32 revision.
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:34 am

According to this :-

http://support.euro.dell.com/support/ed ... 100-om.pdf

you seem to be stuck with a max of 512MB for a single slot :cry:

Have you tried gently cleaning the "faulty" slot with some ethyly alchohol - e.g. VHS tape head cleaner ? try gently cleaning the slot with some alcohol and a cotton bud or soft brush such as a record stylus cleaner. :wink:

EDIT: ...of course only try the above when laptop is powerd OFF :wink:
Last edited by Shotokan101 on Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim

.....I'm Sorry But I Can't Do That Dave.....
Gzero
Regular
Regular

Post by Gzero » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:46 am

I love this guys site: http://www.bay-wolf.com/bios.htm#15
Thats how to reset the bios for your dell, I've only to do it once when the windows wasnt doing something right, can't remember now could have been failing to boot fully, something not showing up... but it fixed it in the end, also found that reslotting the ram can make the laptop post if it fails to do so lol. Laptops are just wierd, at least when you have a pc problem you have a complex problem with a complex solution (usually RMA ;) ).