iRAM

Talk about anything you like here: as long as it's technical, doesn't fit into the other categories and is within the rules. Questions and discussions about operating systems, programming, websites, hosting, ADSL etc. are particularly welcome here.
gazzer
Regular
Regular

iRAM

Post by gazzer » Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:13 pm

using RAM as a hard disk enabling you to boot into your OS in seconds - what do you think?

Video
Info (there are more in depth reviews - use google :P)
eMuNiX
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by eMuNiX » Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:02 pm

I wonder if it will work with Linux :)
Martyn
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by Martyn » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:51 pm

It should do. I assume the system sees it as just another SATA drive
Mugwump's Origo Repair CD
gazzer
Regular
Regular

Post by gazzer » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:38 pm

Martyn wrote:It should do. I assume the system sees it as just another SATA drive
yeah, i think this is what happens
Kieran
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Kieran » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:38 pm

Certainly looks interesting; will be good to watch and see how this kind of thing develops in the future - improving windows boot time must be a dream od windows users the world over, lol
Kieran
"Indeed!"
Invaluable links: Forum Rules | Networking Guides | FAQ | Site Search | Forum Search <-- Use it or feel my wrath!
No support via PM, please ask your questions in the forum!
gazzer
Regular
Regular

Post by gazzer » Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:01 pm

Kieran wrote:Certainly looks interesting; will be good to watch and see how this kind of thing develops in the future - improving windows boot time must be a dream od windows users the world over, lol
as is spelling :roll:...

also, i always remember linux taking a while to boot up... am i wrong? then again, linux is never really meant to be shut down is it :P
Kieran
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Kieran » Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:18 pm

gazzer wrote:as is spelling :roll:...
Quite, especially considering the over-use of american "english" in the windows OS :roll: But yes, I see your point with regards to my typo ;)
gazzer wrote:also, i always remember linux taking a while to boot up... am i wrong? then again, linux is never really meant to be shut down is it :P
Wrong on the first count (in part), right on the second. Linux doesn't need to be shut down or restarted save for kernel updates (which are rarely required immediately unless they contain critical security updates) or to save power. A machine running Linux *can* take a while to boot, but it really depends what is loaded during boot. Anything not required should be loaded later by the user as required. This enables faster boot time. Very few things must be started with the machine in Linux as few things are strictly managed at kernel level, unlike in windows. The fact more things are at kernel level in windows causes more restarts to be required as changes at that level are not realised until it the machine is restarted. It also increases the boot time. This is why a fresh install will boot faster than one with many applications installed that perform different functions. Linux boot time rarely fluctuates and certainly not on the scale of windows boot times.
Kieran
"Indeed!"
Invaluable links: Forum Rules | Networking Guides | FAQ | Site Search | Forum Search <-- Use it or feel my wrath!
gazzer
Regular
Regular

Post by gazzer » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:21 am

also im sure that the fact that my laptop only had 256mb of ram installed when i was dual booting fedora with xp probably played a part in the slow boot time :P
Kieran
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Kieran » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:57 am

256Mb is the lowest recommended RAM amount to run the latest version of Fedora so slowness would be expected.
Kieran
"Indeed!"
Hatx0r
Regular
Regular

Post by Hatx0r » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:32 pm

The iRAM is generally a waste of time and space. A booting box isn't as HD limited as you'd think, it mostly has to wait for asynchronous hardware inits. Why do you think that HPC (high performance computing; supercomputers, clusters, etc.) doesn't use these?

For the memory you put on the iRAM, you'd get a better system by just putting the memory as system RAM.

It's a gimmick, but where there's money, there are always fools who own it.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:40 pm

I don't mind waiting for 10-20 seconds while my OS boots up. As has already been said, free money is better spent on more RAM or a bigger HD.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
Kieran
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Kieran » Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:41 pm

I haven't restarted/shut down my system in 42 days now so I don't think boot times bother me either, lol
Kieran
"Indeed!"
gazzer
Regular
Regular

Post by gazzer » Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:12 am

i think its not just meant for boot time; i think its meant so that you can read your "hard disk" as quickly as you read your RAM, so things like load times in games would almost dissappear (you linux users wouldn't understand about games haha :lol:)
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:02 am

Get a SCSI hard drive if you are concerned about load times.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
eMuNiX
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by eMuNiX » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:17 am

gazzer wrote:(you linux users wouldn't understand about games haha :lol:)
Never play Urban Terror, True Combat:Elite, Enemy Territory or UT2004 on my linux box << all without Wine or Cedega :roll: