wich router should I get?

Talk about anything you like here: as long as it's technical, doesn't fit into the other categories and is within the rules. Questions and discussions about operating systems, programming, websites, hosting, ADSL etc. are particularly welcome here.
AK47

wich router should I get?

Post by AK47 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:15 pm

Actiontec GT784WN

or

Netgear N 150

or

ASUS DSL-N10

or

dlink DSL-2540B

I am a bit worried about the price on them. Netgear is 125 on google but all the other routers are around 50-60$ Should I get the netgear one or are the inexpencive ones ok ?
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: wich router should I get?

Post by thechief » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:03 pm

Personally, I would get a router that is well supported by 3rd party firmwares, especially RouterTech, DD-WRT, or Tomato. First decide which 3rd party firmware you like, and then choose the router accordingly.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
Shoka

Post by Shoka » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:33 pm

Assuming you want to use RouterTech firmware, have you any recommendations for current router manufacturer/models that work well with your current releases?

I currently run Solwise SAR-600ER's but present Solwise models do not seem to be compatible with your firmware.

(Please correct me if that impression is mistaken)

Harry
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:12 pm

There is a rudimentary list in the docs, and there is a developing one here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4191
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
AK47

Post by AK47 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:49 am

thechief wrote:Personally, I would get a router that is well supported by 3rd party firmwares, especially RouterTech, DD-WRT, or Tomato. First decide which 3rd party firmware you like, and then choose the router accordingly.
How is 3rd party firmware better and why should I change it?

is there a topic on https://www.routertech.org that covers this?
AK47

Post by AK47 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:12 am

Did I misunderstand this forum? Is this forum only for some special router software? I thought I was logging in to a general forum for asking about networking.

Second question. Is there a how to for this software in the forums? Like basic setup and benifits? Is it free and things like that?
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:32 am

AK47 wrote:How is 3rd party firmware better and why should I change it?
You don't have to change your firmware at all. As long as you are happy with whatever the manufacturer or ISP puts in it, then there is no problem.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:34 am

AK47 wrote:Did I misunderstand this forum? Is this forum only for some special router software?
No.
AK47 wrote:I thought I was logging in to a general forum for asking about networking.
Correct. But most of the questions tend to be related to the RouterTech firmware.
AK47 wrote:Second question. Is there a how to for this software in the forums? Like basic setup and benifits? Is it free and things like that?
firmware-faq/