BT 'Home Hub'?

Talk about anything you like here: as long as it's technical, doesn't fit into the other categories and is within the rules. Questions and discussions about operating systems, programming, websites, hosting, ADSL etc. are particularly welcome here.
CaNsA
Novice
Novice

Post by CaNsA » Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:02 pm

will do, but do u reckon i could stick the RT firmware on it?
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:07 pm

CaNsA wrote:will do, but do u reckon i could stick the RT firmware on it?
What does the Router Upgrade Checker say ?
Jim

.....I'm Sorry But I Can't Do That Dave.....
CaNsA
Novice
Novice

Post by CaNsA » Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:21 pm

thats never worked for me, ever, just sits there using 50% of my cpu
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:40 pm

Have you read the readme file that comes with the Router Upgrade Checker?
RouterTech Team and Founding Member
RouterTech Merchandise (UK)
No support via PM, please ask your questions on the forum!
CaNsA
Novice
Novice

Post by CaNsA » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:07 pm

yeppers to no avail
studioeng
Experienced
Experienced

Post by studioeng » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:19 pm

I don't mean to teach anyone how to suck eggs; but to my knowledge, unless the RT firmware has change drastically over the last couple of months, it will not work with the HomeHub, due to it using a Broadcom chipset and not a TI one.

The 'Unlocking' that you speak of is mearly the SpeedTouch 7G firmware altered to install into the HomeHub, when this is used you will loose some if not all VoIP functions with the HubPhone and you will also loose the network printer and file sharing, when using a USB pen drive.
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:37 pm

studioeng wrote:I don't mean to teach anyone how to suck eggs; but to my knowledge, unless the RT firmware has change drastically over the last couple of months, it will not work with the HomeHub, due to it using a Broadcom chipset and not a TI one.

The 'Unlocking' that you speak of is mearly the SpeedTouch 7G firmware altered to install into the HomeHub, when this is used you will loose some if not all VoIP functions with the HubPhone and you will also loose the network printer and file sharing, when using a USB pen drive.
So is the homehub not AR7 based or are you merely referring to an incompatible wireless chippset SE ? :?
Jim

CaNsA
Novice
Novice

Post by CaNsA » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:37 pm

"The 'Unlocking' that you speak of is mearly the SpeedTouch 7G firmware altered to install into the HomeHub, "

i know, i have donethis as a means to use it on any adsl line for a backup, incase i screw my current modem up.
but yeah it does have a broadcom chipset :(
studioeng
Experienced
Experienced

Post by studioeng » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:10 pm

@Shotokan101 - I've always been under the impression it is not AR7. :/ The whole thing is run by Broadcom chipsets...

Have you read this thread, over on TheScream?? (I warn you, there are ALOT of pages!)

Granted I've not looked into it for a couple of months, but I don't think they've suddenly started using the TI AR7 chips.
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:36 pm

Thanks for clearing that up SE - doesn't look like it is/was an AR7 router :cry:
Jim

lancia
Novice
Novice

Post by lancia » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:33 am

It's a definetly a broadcom, i have one :) Been playing with it, however can't seem to get it to unlock. I have done the 7G firmware which is all well and good but some of the features i would like are not in there.. I.e. did you know it has a printer server on it.. Ip address 192.168.1.253, that is using the latest BT firmware.. A lot of routers these days use the broadcom chipsets and seem to perform a little better than the TI it would be cool if you guys could do some sort of broadcom firmware.. :) Or even unlock the homehub.. :)
dragon
Novice
Novice

Post by dragon » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:47 pm

http://www.homehubhacks.co.uk/

Makes a nice ATA adaptor for VOIP if you do the get root hack followed by the route internally hack followed by the change voip provider hack. :P

probably worth disabling the auto update as well.
greeksalad

Post by greeksalad » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:52 am

isn't the bt home hub just a waste of time?? Isn't it the same as having a external harddrive that you put a copy of all your pics and vids?
Or does it do it automatically??
biro
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by biro » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:47 pm

greeksalad wrote:isn't the bt home hub just a waste of time?? Isn't it the same as having a external harddrive that you put a copy of all your pics and vids?
ATA in this case is Analogue Terminal Adapter for converting a standard phone into an Ethernet VOIP phone,
NOT Advanced Technology Attachment as in harddisk etc.

The backup refered to in the current adverts is an online backup ( free only for first X months )
ImageImageImage
All my posts on RouterTech.org are Copyright RouterTech.org
G'Day Laura
dragon
Novice
Novice

Post by dragon » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:36 pm

biro wrote:
greeksalad wrote:isn't the bt home hub just a waste of time?? Isn't it the same as having a external harddrive that you put a copy of all your pics and vids?
ATA in this case is Analogue Terminal Adapter for converting a standard phone into an Ethernet VOIP phone,
NOT Advanced Technology Attachment as in harddisk etc.

The backup refered to in the current adverts is an online backup ( free only for first X months )
Is it a waste of time?... Errm thats a hard one...
For the average user who surfs the net a little, wants wireless to do their shopping from the sofa or chatting on the internet.etc

Or even making calls on the voip phone its fine.

However if your someone who wants to use your internet connection for fast sustained transfer, whist other people are online, or you have several people online or are Internet gaming.

Then i find the hub has a tendacy to lockup or just decide its not going to forward any dns queries.

I use a voyager 2110 and so far its the Best router i've had as it can actually handle the amount of traffic thrown at it.

(nether did a dlink dsl-g624t i had previously or a netgear DG834GT i borrowed have managed to match the stablity and uptime of my voyager, the homehub didn't even come close survived about 4 hours as my router before locking up.)