BT 'Home Hub'?

Talk about anything you like here: as long as it's technical, doesn't fit into the other categories and is within the rules. Questions and discussions about operating systems, programming, websites, hosting, ADSL etc. are particularly welcome here.
greeksalad

Post by greeksalad » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:08 am

i don't know whether its just me but i hate BT, they really annoy me that they rip people off. the fact that you NEED a bt phone line to get internet in most scenarios just does my head in!!
dragon
Novice
Novice

Post by dragon » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:37 pm

greeksalad wrote:i don't know whether its just me but i hate BT, they really annoy me that they rip people off. the fact that you NEED a bt phone line to get internet in most scenarios just does my head in!!
Some of the LLU's now offer a fully unbundled line where they take complete control of the line from BT. Although its not available in all areas.

There has to be some way to get the internet to your home and in most cases its though a BT line simply becuase thats all there is... theres usually nothing stopping Other operators providing service in a pertiular area its down to them if they want to or not.
Jdukey

Post by Jdukey » Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:42 pm

Hi

I have here a BT Home Hub, not unlocked, but used behind a different router as a wireless access point and VOIP DECT basestation. It is possible to force the VOIP stuff to transmit over LAN, forward the right ports form the other router and away you go. It is also running SIPGate, not BT Talk. I have also been able to get SuperUser and ROOT access. The only other thing I'd like to be able to do, is change the SAMBA IP address. I have got smb.conf from the hub, but cannot write it back, even root only has read FTP access.
If anyone is interested in the user.ini file, i can e-mail it out. And if anyone has any ideas about writing to the hub let me know!

James
Steve
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by Steve » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:05 am

Not directly connected but THIS is worth reading if you use a BT homehub.
He ached all over. It wasn't just that his brain was writing cheques that his body couldn't cash. It had gone beyond that. Now his feet were borrowing money that his legs hadn't got, and his back muscles were looking for loose change under the sofa cushions.
- Terry Pratchett

www.bliss.org.uk
lukegb
Novice
Novice

Post by lukegb » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:59 pm

Sorry to revive an old topic but the new BT Home Hub firmware version 6.2.6.E, now doesn't support telnet access for security reasons :(. They've also prevented you from accessing the Tech Support page and the Backup/Restore page.

However, a PPTP port seems to be open and I was wondering what it could be for...
Hardware:
[s]Router[/s] Wi-fi AP is an ADDON GWAR3000 running PSPBoot and the v2.3 firmware.
Wi-fi REPEATER is a Linksys WRE54G Wireless-G Range Expander (v.3)
Router is a BT Home Hub (1st v. hardware with 6.2.6.E BT FON firmware)
PC is a Shuttle PC running Vista, Mac, XP and OpenSUSE 10.2.
Alex Atkin
Novice
Novice

Post by Alex Atkin » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:17 pm

Typical BS.

Instead of making people use a decent password, prevent people from being able to change/backup important settings. Makes perfect sense, if you are BT.

I get the feeling they wouldn't be so happy if someone did that to them. DSLAMs that once you connect a customer you cannot disconnect them "for security reasons".

What difference does it make anyway? The security of your router is ALWAYS down to how good your password is. Turning off telnet doesn't make it any more difficult for someone to hack your router. Emulating a web browsers actions in a script/program to "pretend" to be you is not really any more difficult that emulating a telnet session.
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:11 pm

I wonder if they have fixed the upnp vulnerability?

http://www.gnucitizen.org/blog/bt-home- ... ome-hub-5/

(rogue web site can change the DNS servers)
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:12 pm

mstombs wrote:rogue web site can change the DNS servers
...rather like this: viewtopic.php?t=1771
RouterTech Team and Founding Member
RouterTech Merchandise (UK)
No support via PM, please ask your questions on the forum!
lukegb
Novice
Novice

FON and passwords

Post by lukegb » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:54 pm

BT has also forced people to change the main Admin password, thus forcing people to dig out the home hub, blow the dust off the label, locate the serial number and type it in to the not-even SSL protected web interface.

I guess it's a step in the right direction, considering all BT Home Hubs now allow everyone to run a BT-supported FON hotspot - earning BT Openzone Minutes as you go. This also means that they need to ramp up the security or else... NetBIOS and SMB/CIFS attacks galore. Isn't Windows wonderful? Or not.

Thus in order to prevent home users from stealing people's bank login details - they had to remove as many methods as they could of gaining Root/SuperUser access.

On the plus side you can now actually control the Dynamic DNS updater settings from the web interface, but still no luck on the according to BT staff non-existant simlock, preventing users from well... using any ADSL usernames that don't end in btbroadband.com or btopenworld.com or the like...
Hardware:
[s]Router[/s] Wi-fi AP is an ADDON GWAR3000 running PSPBoot and the v2.3 firmware.
Wi-fi REPEATER is a Linksys WRE54G Wireless-G Range Expander (v.3)
Router is a BT Home Hub (1st v. hardware with 6.2.6.E BT FON firmware)
PC is a Shuttle PC running Vista, Mac, XP and OpenSUSE 10.2.
Alex Atkin
Novice
Novice

Post by Alex Atkin » Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:18 pm

I don't think restricting your options because someone MIGHT want to use a particular option that needs higher security, is a good compremise my any means.

Restrict the defaults yes, but allow "expert" users their tinkering abilities.