Force broadcast ARP on the wan link

Talk about anything you like here: as long as it's technical, doesn't fit into the other categories and is within the rules. Questions and discussions about operating systems, programming, websites, hosting, ADSL etc. are particularly welcome here.
Radiotech
Regular
Regular

Force broadcast ARP on the wan link

Post by Radiotech » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:08 pm

My ISP requires Force broadcast ARP on the wan link which was added to my Netgear router with a 3rd party firmware by the DGTeam.
I have recently updated to a new Billion router which is now suffering the same fate no through put (loss of routing) if left for more than about 15mins without any data packets.
The question is possible not easy but it is well over my head does anyone know a code / script for using the telnet command to force the ARP, this is along shot but worth an ask.
Many thanks
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: Force broadcast ARP on the wan link

Post by mstombs » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:05 pm

What WAN connection type is that? ARP only applies to Ethernet comms on local lan segment AFAIK, and devices do fall out of the arp/neighbour table after about 5 minutes. But it is just a matter of timing out on no traffic can't you just ping the ISP gateway or DNS server every few minutes as a keep-alive technique?
Radiotech
Regular
Regular

Post by Radiotech » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:14 pm

mstombs wrote:What WAN connection type is that? ARP only applies to Ethernet comms on local lan segment AFAIK, and devices do fall out of the arp/neighbour table after about 5 minutes. But it is just a matter of timing out on no traffic can't you just ping the ISP gateway or DNS server every few minutes as a keep-alive technique?
thank you for your reply
Sound good but in practice what physically do i do
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:07 am

He said that you could ping the ISP's gateway/DNS servers every few minutes. If you want to automate the process, then you can check if your router's firmware supports cron jobs. If it does, then set up a cron job to do it. If not, then things will not be so straightforward - you might need to find a firmware that supports cron.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.