Problem with "watch topic".....

All errors or issues on the website/forums should be reported here and will be investigated. Support questions about how to use/access features not documented in the forum FAQ and discussion about the site forums are also welcome here, but please read this thread before posting such items.
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:15 am

biro wrote:Can use tab and enter but it's a lot of 'tabs'
Sure is - I can obviously still use the mouse to "highlight" the link with the pointer but I need to be able to "press" it with the keyboard - I though that everythingabout windoze was supposed to be "do-able" with a keyboard :cry:
Jim

.....I'm Sorry But I Can't Do That Dave.....
biro
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by biro » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:48 am

Time for a bit of lateral thinking.
I assume this has only been a problem recently about the same time as your other (PC) problem ?
Don't know how it could be related but have you tried it with the modem and SWAMRU ?
ImageImageImage
All my posts on RouterTech.org are Copyright RouterTech.org
G'Day Laura
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:38 am

This problem is more recent than the downloadethernet speed issue Biro :? but no I haven't specifically tried this with the modem.... might try that if I can keep my two kids off the net for long enough :wink:
Jim

Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:19 pm

Just to confirm: did this problem only arise recently? I assume it hasn't always happened?

Do you see the error message now or do you still see a page with just the forum header etc? What happens if you switch the buttons for the mouse (in Windows by making it left-handed)?

And you have tried different browsers etc? Has there been a recent update or broswer plugin install?
RouterTech Team and Founding Member
RouterTech Merchandise (UK)
No support via PM, please ask your questions on the forum!
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:22 pm

WIthin the past week or so - haven't tried switching buttons - presumed that switching mouse would achieve the same effect but will give it a try tonight :?

When it happens now - I get the error message :?

Have only ever experieneced it on the home PC.
Jim

Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:23 pm

.....forgot to mention one mouse is serial/ps2 and the other is usb......
Jim

Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:16 am

Well triedswitching mouse buttons - guess what - still the same when selecting with right button :?
Jim

Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:14 am

Most bizarre - I think we can rule out any mechanical error, then.

Can you not test and set the 'Double-Click' speed in the Mouse section of the Control Panel?

Could it be some browser issue?
Have you tried it in different ones?
Have logged out and logged in again?
Have you cleared the caches?
Do you hear a double-click?
Does it happen on any other websites?

Edit: If I double-click on one of the 'Active Topics' links deliberately I see the error message, so that is definitely a potential cause :?
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:23 am

Shotokan101 wrote:I can obviously still use the mouse to "highlight" the link with the pointer but I need to be able to "press" it with the keyboard - I though that everythingabout windoze was supposed to be "do-able" with a keyboard
BTW: If the link is highlighted, you should be able to press Enter to simulate a left mouse click. There have always been keyboard shorcuts like this for computers that don't have mice or accessibility issues etc.
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:05 am

Neo wrote:Most bizarre - I think we can rule out any mechanical error, then.

Can you not test and set the 'Double-Click' speed in the Mouse section of the Control Panel?

Could it be some browser issue?
Have you tried it in different ones?
Have logged out and logged in again?
Have you cleared the caches?
Do you hear a double-click?
Does it happen on any other websites?

Edit: If I double-click on one of the 'Active Topics' links deliberately I see the error message, so that is definitely a potential cause :?
Hi Neo,

I originaly suspected the upgrade to FF2 to be the cause due to the timing of it but.....
Occurs if FF2 and IE7
Yes
Yes
Not Sure no Audio enabled at the moment - will test
Not sure - will try to find another forum site with similar subscription pages

I do "feel" that it is a double-click type issue but when I test the double click speed it only hapens when I actually double click....

You are correct but using tab to highlight a link and hovering over it with the mouse seem to be different as enter doesnt work in the later case
:cry:

I have been totally unable to trace the keystrokes for left-click although I can find the keystroke for right-click - how annoying....... :wink:
Jim

Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:51 pm

Shotokan101 wrote:You are correct but using tab to highlight a link and hovering over it with the mouse seem to be different as enter doesnt work in the later case
:cry:
How strange - perhaps that's related because that definitely works for me - I might have to press tab over 30 times but when the link is highlighted, Enter does the trick.

There is a setting in Windows to treat single-clicks as double clicks somewhere, but I don't know if that's relevant. This would mean you wouldn't need to double-click on desktop icons etc.

Have you tried enabling MouseKeys to control the mouse - http://www.bbc.co.uk/accessibility/win/ ... d-98.shtml
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:57 pm

Neo wrote:How strange - perhaps that's related because that definitely works for me - I might have to press tab over 30 times but when the link is highlighted, Enter does the trick.

Have you tried enabling MouseKeys to control the mouse - http://www.bbc.co.uk/accessibility/win/ ... d-98.shtml
Neo - I think that you've misunderstood my ramblings earlier :lol: tabbing followed by enter does work for me as well but it's seen differently by the UI since as you tab around the links they get "highlighted" by a rectangular "mask effect" (FWOBW) - whereas hovering over a lionk prior to clicking doesn't acheive this effect - the mouse pointer simply changes form to a little hand.....

I might try the mousekys later tonight if I get the chance after training - provided that there's nothing worth watching on SKY of course :wink:
Jim

Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:13 pm

Shotokan101 wrote:Neo - I think that you've misunderstood my ramblings earlier :lol:
Probably :D
Shotokan101 wrote:tabbing followed by enter does work for me as well but it's seen differently by the UI since as you tab around the links they get "highlighted" by a rectangular "mask effect" (FWOBW) - whereas hovering over a lionk prior to clicking doesn't acheive this effect - the mouse pointer simply changes form to a little hand.....
That's normal though, isn't it? The rectangular "mask effect" is a focus bounding rectangle - showing which element has focus ;) The difference should be visual only - programmatically it's the same (when creating a web page one can treat them the same). It's up to the drivers, browser and OS to decide on how to deal with the individual input devices :)

If 'Entering' does work, then that would eliminate any issues on the forum-side (like caches or identifaction). So the finger seems to be pointing on how the OS and/or browser is interpretting a single left mouse click.
Shotokan101 wrote:I might try the mousekys later tonight if I get the chance after training - provided that there's nothing worth watching on SKY of course :wink:
:lol: Fair dos ;)
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:27 pm

focus bounding rectangle
Ooooooooh !

....I love it when you talk Webby :wink:

I removed FF2 this morning to check that out as the possible "source" but unfortunately it didn't put me back to FF1 :cry: and as far as I can see that FF website only has an (obvious0 download link for FF2 so I'll have to try and dig out a FF1 installation exe now...... :?
Jim

Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:38 pm

Shotokan101 wrote:Ooooooooh !

....I love it when you talk Webby :wink:
*giggles* :)
Shotokan101 wrote:I removed FF2 this morning to check that out as the possible "source" but unfortunately it didn't put me back to FF1 :cry: and as far as I can see that FF website only has an (obvious0 download link for FF2 so I'll have to try and dig out a FF1 installation exe now...... :?
Yes, they probably don't have the FF1 download available or at least not in a prominent location. I'm sure it's on a magazine disc or two - if you don't have any luck in your collection I'm sure I can find it in mine :)

Although, I was thinking you could try other browsers like Opera or Maxthon...