Using two routers

Support forum for routers of all shapes and sizes. As long as it's router based and doesn't fall into the other categories, this is the place to ask your questions.
willshep
Regular
Regular

Post by willshep » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:54 pm

Firstly, sorry dad. I've been bad I know and sure enough I'm not going to do it again. :P

I must say that I did get the right bootloader and I've got two modems so it's no massive deal - I know it must be tiresome when people don't take precautions - I'd already flashed one of my routers and it runs perfectly well so i got a little reckless didn't I!

I'm trying to get the people at PlusCom to send me the firmware image - PCApp works fine with my lovely brick so I guess it's a case of waiting until i get a working firmware.

Will post the details asap,

Thanks, Will.
willshep
Regular
Regular

Post by willshep » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:11 pm

Update - it wasn't actually bricked. It all worked fine when I did a proper factory reset. Now this router works fine too.

So thanks all

Any chance of SNMP?

W.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:48 am

I am glad to hear that it is ok.:)

[soapbox on]
Yes, I am going to be very dad about these things, and I have no apologies at all for that. It is not only tiresome when people don't heed warnings and follow instructions, it also becomes a waste of everybody's time. We all have our day jobs and are doing this on a voluntary basis. If we have taken the time to write instructions, it is not too much to expect people to read and follow them.
[/soapbox off]

SNMP is there if you have a wireless router. Otherwise, it won't work (insufficient RAM on the non-wireless routers).
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
willshep
Regular
Regular

Post by willshep » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:59 am

I get the feeling that from a stability point of view especially with p2p use and having more than one person on a network, it would have been smarter to get a wireless router with 4 ports even if I were not to actually use the wireless side - but simply for the extra RAM.

Anyway, if it helps at all - both the ADDON and PLUSCOM 4 port wired routers work perfectly with your firmware.

W.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:51 am

willshep wrote:I get the feeling that from a stability point of view especially with p2p use and having more than one person on a network, it would have been smarter to get a wireless router with 4 ports even if I were not to actually use the wireless side - but simply for the extra RAM.
Indeed. One manufacturer is soon going to release 4-port non-wireless routers with the extra RAM. But I don't think I am allowed to say any more than that at the moment. ;)
willshep wrote:Anyway, if it helps at all - both the ADDON and PLUSCOM 4 port wired routers work perfectly with your firmware.
W.
Thanks. I am not aware of this Pluscom router. What are its specs?
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
willshep
Regular
Regular

Post by willshep » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:07 am

Maybe I'll try to see if I can exchange it for a wireless one. I'll have to send it back with your firmware on it though (not having backed up the orginal firmware - if only someone had warned me...)

Will send env later on it's PSP boot, 4 port+1 usb, ADSL2/2+ Actually it's on ebay - Pluscom's website is not great... Pluscom.cn, but it's cheap and it works...

Going off topic, I've had a look for more detailed info on IP Accounting - it'd be useful if somehow the router could log usage by IP - I've turned it on but nothing shows up - does it need a reboot - I've searched the forum but not found answers.

W.
studioeng
Experienced
Experienced

Post by studioeng » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:13 am

willshep wrote:(not having backed up the orginal firmware - if only someone had warned me...)
:lol: you can't be serious :P
willshep wrote:Going off topic, I've had a look for more detailed info on IP Accounting - it'd be useful if somehow the router could log usage by IP - I've turned it on but nothing shows up - does it need a reboot - I've searched the forum but not found answers.
Yes I beleive the router requires a reboot in order for the IP Accounting to start working.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:16 am

It shouldn't need a reboot, but you could try, since it does some IPTABLES stuff. It does log usage by (LAN) IP addresses.

Be warned - it is a memory hog that would probably bring your RAM-challenged router to its knees (especially if you also do P2P stuff). But there is no harm trying. You can always disable it if it starts causing problems.
willshep
Regular
Regular

Post by willshep » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:21 am

Right well that's the other thing I suppose - what else can I turn off to free up the most amount of ram - I don't need any features really - I don't use UPnP and don't really need to use IPaccounting or USB. Any linux files that could be edited to stop certain services running? Really wish I'd bought a wireless one now!

The pluscom doesn't have any more RAM than the ADDON, I think the chip might be slightly faster though - but according to your diags it sees about 600k free max just like the ADDON.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:27 am

600k free should be more than enough, so I don't foresee a problem there. What is the memory information reported in the system diagnostics?
willshep
Regular
Regular

Post by willshep » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:56 am

Ok - I'm not at home at the moment but as I remember if i'm just connected to the network not browsing - not even connected to WAN then it's about 600k. When using p2p with reduced connection limits it goes down less than 100k I think - only reason I ask is that it has in the past (pre-RT FW) crashed presumably due to low memory. It hasn't crashed yet and it's downloading at the moment - i'm at work and use CGIProxy to get past Websense so it's obviously still working. I just wonder what will happen when my flatmates and I all start downloading again...

I don't suppose turning off DHCP is any good - all PCs have static IPs anyway?
willshep
Regular
Regular

Post by willshep » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:44 am

Ok router has been up for ages now, when using P2P I can't really expect to use the router's web interface, however, the router doesn't crash, and there is no performance problem either - it's just that i can't get into the web interface - I have found closing down DHT can sometimes help - but then that can affect p2p performance.

So yea, basically, great firmware, good job, thanks.

(Especially THE CHIEF)
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:49 pm

Thanks :). If you don't need the USB driver, then you can disable the loading of the USB driver

Code: Select all

usb_disable.sh
Then restart the router. This should fre up about 60kb of RAM.