router upgrade checker program won't run

Utilities and tools for networking, routers, setup etc
zitnok
Novice
Novice

router upgrade checker program won't run

Post by zitnok » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:49 pm

Hi,
I have been having problems with my Solwise SAR 600-ER. I was told to get the new firmware v2.2. To make sure my router was compatible I downloaded the upgrade checker. However the ruc.exe won't run.
Any suggestions? Or should I install the firmware anyway?
Thanks.
John
SyBorg
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Re: router upgrade checker program won't run

Post by SyBorg » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:57 pm

zitnok wrote:Hi,
I have been having problems with my Solwise SAR 600-ER. I was told to get the new firmware v2.2. To make sure my router was compatible I downloaded the upgrade checker. However the ruc.exe won't run.
Any suggestions? Or should I install the firmware anyway?
Thanks.
John
When you say it won't run do you get an error? What version of windows are you using?
We learn something every day, and lots of times it’s that what we learned the day before was wrong.
—Bill Vaughan
zitnok
Novice
Novice

Post by zitnok » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:22 pm

Hi, thanks for your quick response. I double clicked on the .exe file and nothing appeared to happen. But something is happening because I cant logoff or delete the program because W2K says it is running!
John
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:55 pm

Hi,

First can you confirm the following files are all in the same directory:

cm_cli_tty
firmwares.lst
readme.txt
routers.txt
ruc.exe

Second, do you have a firewall and have you allowed the RUC access to the router?

Thirdly, do you have the VB runtime files installed on your system ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290887 )?

Fourthly, do you have the Winsock control (MSWINSCK.OCX) installed on your system? A search for this file should let you know ;)
RouterTech Team and Founding Member
RouterTech Merchandise (UK)
No support via PM, please ask your questions on the forum!
zitnok
Novice
Novice

Post by zitnok » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:21 pm

Yes, I have all the files which I have unzipped to a folder on my desktop.
I don't have a firewall.
'have you allowed the RUC access to the router?' I don't understand what that means.
I don't know if I have VB runtime files installed. I am running W2K SP4. Should I install them.
I have done a search of my hard drive and it can't find MSWINSCK.OCX.
John
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:44 pm

Thanks for your reply.

Please download the MSWINSCK.OCX from HERE

You don't necessarily need to follow the instructions on the Ascentive website, you can in theory just place the MSWINSCK.OCX in the same folder as the other files. If that doesn't work then it's best to follow the install instructions they provide.

If adding MSWINSCK.OCX to your system doesn't get the RUC working then I would try installing the VB runtime files ;)
zitnok wrote:'have you allowed the RUC access to the router?' I don't understand what that means.
This only applies if you are running a firewall on your PC ;) RUC stands for Router Upgrade Checker :)

By the way, the Solwise SAR 600-ER is (normally) compatible with the RT firmwares, but it doesn't do any harm to double-check :)
zitnok
Novice
Novice

Post by zitnok » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:50 pm

I downloaded and installed the libraryfiles.exe. When i tried to run RUC it told me it could not login to the router - username or password are incorrect. It filled in the username and password -I do not know any different.

'By the way, the Solwise SAR 600-ER is (normally) compatible with the RT firmwares, but it doesn't do any harm to double-check'
If I forgo the RUC and attempt to install the firmware I am scared off by a whole page of warnigns and precautions that I do not understand. Should I just do it?

John
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:15 pm

zitnok wrote:I downloaded and installed the libraryfiles.exe. When i tried to run RUC it told me it could not login to the router - username or password are incorrect. It filled in the username and password -I do not know any different.

'By the way, the Solwise SAR 600-ER is (normally) compatible with the RT firmwares, but it doesn't do any harm to double-check'
If I forgo the RUC and attempt to install the firmware I am scared off by a whole page of warnigns and precautions that I do not understand. Should I just do it?

John
NO - don't upgrade if you have any concerns :?

Persever and try to get the checker working - the default SAR user/password should be root/Admin for the telnet account that the RUC uses - have you changed the router admin password ?

Try telneting to the router and see if you can log in. and if so use that user and password in the RUC dialogue :wink:
Jim

.....I'm Sorry But I Can't Do That Dave.....
zitnok
Novice
Novice

Post by zitnok » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:50 pm

I ran RUC. It had 'root/Admin' as the username and password. It could not login to the router. I check the router webpage Advanced/System Password. It read User Name: admin Password: blank. I tried entering admin/ blank in the RUC. Still could not login to the router. I ticked 'Enable Authentication' and entered and confirmed a password - 47x2sbam. and entered those in to the RUC. Still couldn't login to the router. Went back to the router page and changed it back to User Name: Admin and Password: blank

What does ' telnet the router' mean and how do you do it? I am afreaid I am not familiar with this term. I looked it up in Wikipedia but I am none the wiser.
John
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:21 pm

Hi sorry for confusing you :?

I meant that from a dos command box (Start>Run>Cmd on XP) you type "telnet 192.168.1.1" (or your router IP) and then respond to the login prompt with root as the username and Admin with the password.

If this fails than the default router admin password has been changed.

If this is the case then you need to know the router admin password and supply it to the RUC program OR reset the router to default settings.
Jim

Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:23 pm

Glad to hear you have made some progress, zitnok/John :)
zitnok wrote:I tried entering admin/ blank in the RUC. Still could not login to the router. I ticked 'Enable Authentication' and entered and confirmed a password - 47x2sbam. and entered those in to the RUC.
Can I just confirm that when you changed the password to "47x2sbam" did you leave the username as 'Admin' and click on 'Apply', before you tried the RUC? And did you try username=root, password=47x2sbam in the RUC, after setting the password to 47x2sbam?

In any case, it's better to have a password set to something rather than leaving it blank, just for security ;)

BTW, I'm sorry that using the RUC has not been straightforward for you :(
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:26 pm

zitnok wrote:What does ' telnet the router' mean and how do you do it? I am afreaid I am not familiar with this term. I looked it up in Wikipedia but I am none the wiser.
Shotokan101 has provided some excellent advice - you can also see kb.php?mode=article&k=35 for instructions :)
zitnok
Novice
Novice

Post by zitnok » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:25 pm

I seem to jinx everything you suggest. I can't get the dos command to work. When I get the login prompt I type 'root'. I press enter. Password: comes up. But I can't type anything. The flashing cursor continues.
zitnok
Novice
Novice

Post by zitnok » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:32 pm

Yes I left the user name as 'admin' and entered the password '47x2sbam' and clicked 'Apply'. In RUC I used username=admin and password=47x2sbam. Is that where I went wrong?

And then I took your advice and reset the router to the default settings.
So I don't where I am or what's what.

John
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:34 pm

zitnok wrote:I seem to jinx everything you suggest. I can't get the dos command to work. When I get the login prompt I type 'root'. I press enter. Password: comes up. But I can't type anything. The flashing cursor continues.
If "CMD" doesn't work try "command" in the DOS box :?
Jim