Multiple PVC

All about firmwares for routers. Support for RouterTech firmwares is here too.
o_olivier

Multiple PVC

Post by o_olivier » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:24 am

Hi,
I am trying to sign-up for my ISPs IPTV service, which requires multiple PVCs. I am connecting on a ADSL2MUE over a bridge PPPOE LLC connection since a direct PPPOE connection does not work anymore. I have created the ISP bridge connection and another connection called IPTV. I have also enabled the IGMP Proxy on the ISP connection.

It does not work, would you know if the version 2.3 support multiple PVC please?

Txs,
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:56 am

Out of the box the Solwise firmwares support multiple PVC - up to 8 - so I should think that the RT F/W should as well - but perhaps The Chief or Biro can confirm this for you :wink:
Jim

.....I'm Sorry But I Can't Do That Dave.....
o_olivier

Post by o_olivier » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:47 am

Thanks for your answer, I have a feeling that the Solwise did but I do not know if the functionality had been "ported" over. The Chief, Biro, could we have your golden two cents please?
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:21 am

What is your router?

PS: as far as I am aware, there's no multiple PVC. I'm not even sure what it is.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:03 am

I think the OP should address the first issue
since a direct PPPOE connection does not work anymore
We've had a number of threads about problems with PPPOE bridge in France on an ADSL2MUE I don't think they were ever resolved completely.

PVC = Permanent Virtual Circuit

I have read you can have multiple PPP sessions over a single PVC.

If you define multiple connections on the router are they multiple PPPs or PVCs?

I thought that in PPPOE bridge mode all the connections are made by the PPPOE client on upstream device, so wouldn't have thought IGMP etc on modem have anything to do with it.
o_olivier

Post by o_olivier » Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:11 am

hi,

Thanks for your help. Indeed it is an ADSL2MUE but I am not in France (French but living in Australia). The PPPOE never worked for me directly with the routertech firmware so I have to do a bridge with my WRT54G, which is not a big deal. Your firmware was instrumental in helping me force my ISP to admit to look into their equipment and finally fix my connection after 2 weeks ! so big txs. Multiple PVCs are used to emulate multiple PPPOEs over one link. Here is a link that details the set-up from my ISP which very interestingly uses a router with a firmware interface that looks very similar to yours https://cyberstore.tpg.com.au/register/ ... tvhelp.htm
Olivier
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:35 am

Cool :). With regard to firmwares looking alike, it is because there is a TI reference design, and some of us stick to it as far as possible, while others go to town (only with the web interface though).
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:44 am

Do you notice in the Netcomm instructions, they configure a second IPTV connection, but then enable multicast on the non-detailed Quickstart connection? Is the first bridged as well?
o_olivier

Post by o_olivier » Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:49 pm

Most likely not. Quickstart is most likely a PPPoA connection. I would not think that this would be the problem though. Since my ISP expects multiple PVCs, the fact that the first one is bridged, should not matter as long as it is active.

I have a gut feel that the firmware/hardware does not support multiple PVCs because of the message "Only the first connection will be active"
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:04 pm

o_olivier wrote:Most likely not. Quickstart is most likely a PPPoA connection. I would not think that this would be the problem though. Since my ISP expects multiple PVCs, the fact that the first one is bridged, should not matter as long as it is active.

I have a gut feel that the firmware/hardware does not support multiple PVCs because of the message "Only the first connection will be active"
If you check the Solwise 600 guides and specifications on the Solwise website you will see that it claims to support up to 8 PVC's :?

http://www.solwise.co.uk/adsl-sar600er.htm
Jim

.....I'm Sorry But I Can't Do That Dave.....
o_olivier

Post by o_olivier » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:51 am

Thanks for the tip, one question. What does that mean for the ADSL2MUE and the RouterTech v2.3 firmware? Does it support it to then? is there a magic telnet command to set it up?
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:14 pm

Since the Solwise 600 is now shipping with RT firmware it should support multiple PVC - but not sure anyone in UK has ISP that supports so we cannot test. I still don't understand why you can't get PPPOE on the modem to work, unless that's the double NAT/ half bridge issue when behind a router.

I suggest you may have more luck over on the Aus whirlpool forums (they may laugh at the Adsl2mue though!) There are instructions here for a Linksys AG241:-

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... m?t=777120
o_olivier

Post by o_olivier » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:35 pm

Thanks for your help. I will ask whirlpool if anybody has had success with the ADSL2MUE.

My PPPOE problem surprises me too. my modem is not in a NAT environment. It is straight onto the ADSL line.

a big thanks for your help.
Olivier