DNS Configuration Changes Do Not Work

All about firmwares for routers. Support for RouterTech firmwares is here too.
Dorcots
Novice
Novice

DNS Configuration Changes Do Not Work

Post by Dorcots » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:28 pm

I recently needed to change my 'DNS Configuration' from the automatic ISP-provided settings to manual ones. While the IP addresses appeared to save (they were still there after selecting 'Apply', then 'Save All'), they were ineffective (see below) and reverted to the old values following a 'Restart'.

I had no problem with the 'Use DNS Proxy' setting which I unchecked.

My need arose when my ISP's DNS servers were faulty (now fixed) and the ISP (Tiscali) gave some alternative temporary IP addresses.

About that "see below" above. Tiscali phone support (I was impressed with their router knowledge) talked me though this and they assured me that the changes should work without a 'Restart All'. Anyone got a comment?

With the RT firmware, is it possible to disable the automatic DNS settings that my ISP gives me and enter my own. If so, how? And why did the save not work after the ‘Restart All’?

I am running RouterTech’s “TNETW1350A release”/RoHS firmware.
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:22 pm

Have you read THIS thread ?
Jim

.....I'm Sorry But I Can't Do That Dave.....
Dorcots
Novice
Novice

Post by Dorcots » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:03 am

Thanks, Shotokan101, for that link. It did explain how to use the 'Use DNS Proxy' setting.

I have had a further play and am now convinced that the feature does not work in my version of the firmware. After the ‘Save All’, I was able to see the manually set IP addresses in config.bin (obtained using ‘Backup Configuration’). But after a ‘Restart’, the configuration IP addresses had reverted to those provided by my ISP.

'Use DNS Proxy' puzzles me. Although I could save and retain its value (checked or unchecked), I could not find where it was located in config.bin. I would have expected it to be Modules > Resolver > Active, but this steadfastly remained at ‘1’.

Note that the firmware I am using is RouterTech_ROHS_3.7.1B_20071120_2.4.0.3_AR7WRD_psbl_firmware.upgrade.img.

This was given to be by thechief for evaluation only and I believe is essentially the same at the standard V2.4. If anyone believes that the standard V2.4 will behave differently, I can test it out…
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:26 am

"Use DNS Proxy" has nothing to do with it. That should always be ticked. What you want is "Use Peer DNS".

After inserting your DNS servers manually, you should go to your connection settings, untick "Use Peer DNS", and then save your settings. It does not require a reboot to start working.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
Dorcots
Novice
Novice

Post by Dorcots » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:37 pm

Got it. 'Use Peer DNS' is under 'WAN Setup'. Have tested it and it all works. Thanks for the help.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:06 pm

Cool :)
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.