RouterTech Firmware v2.5 Discussion

All about firmwares for routers. Support for RouterTech firmwares is here too.
beingaware

Post by beingaware » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:30 pm

mstombs wrote:
beingaware wrote: It seems that the latest firmware seems to lock you out of Telnet.
Username: root
Password: Admin

?
Tried that, failed
tried root/mypassword.
Also failed.
Not sure whats up.

Also my modem seems to be only keen in syncing in G.Lite, odd but all other modes it just tries and fails for hours.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:15 pm

Presumably you did a reset to defaults after loading the firmware, and followed the instruction to set your modulation to multi_mode?
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
snowr

Can't unzip downloaded file

Post by snowr » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:27 pm

Can't get routertech-ar7rd-adam2-1port-firmware-20080331.zip to extract.
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: Can't unzip downloaded file

Post by Shotokan101 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:54 pm

snowr wrote:Can't get routertech-ar7rd-adam2-1port-firmware-20080331.zip to extract.
There is a known problem with corrupted/failed downloads at the moment - the team are investigating - please be patient :)
Jim

.....I'm Sorry But I Can't Do That Dave.....
snowr

Post by snowr » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:03 pm

If I'd bothered to read earlier posts I would have known there was a problem!
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:09 pm

snowr wrote:If I'd bothered to read earlier posts I would have known there was a problem!
...it happens :D - if we don't get it fixed soon we should post a site announcement I suppose - but some folk will still miss it :lol:
Jim

.....I'm Sorry But I Can't Do That Dave.....
beingaware

Post by beingaware » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:44 am

thechief wrote:Presumably you did a reset to defaults after loading the firmware, and followed the instruction to set your modulation to multi_mode?
I did a full reset, before and after, and yes I did leave it on multi mode ay first, it still seemed to like g.lite.
xbipin
Regular
Regular

Post by xbipin » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:05 am

mstombs wrote:
xbipin wrote:i tried the way u said, works fine. one question though, setting a short lease time, wont it cause a problem for modem and router?
Its one message and reply to renew the lease so the traffic and load is negligible compared to the other things those devices do! D-Link variant of half-bridge ZIPB uses fixed 30 second leases I recall, in RouterTech it is user selectable at least, but it reverts to 30 second when the WAN IP is down. If your WAN IP doesn't change very often you can extend the lease time to say 5 minutes (Note you should make such a change with the modem not in half-bridge mode, or otherwise you will save the configuration without nat/firewall etc which won't work on its own).

Did it work with Monowall? Do you still have access to the modem web gui?
i noticed one thing, from the RT GUI for the lan network on which i have enabled DHCP and set a lease time of 60seconds but on the windows machine when i check the lease time, its shows 7 days exact, i tried renewing it but still the lease time defined in the GUI isnt being applied to client PCs. is it bcoz i have added lan clients each is fixed an ip based on mac address?
i tried connecting the router to a second network card on my PC and on that it gets the lease perfectly fine which is of exact 60secs. This second network card isnt added to the LAN clients on the router.

im gonna try it with monowall today so shall let u know once done as i need to change the whole setup
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:10 am

Re dhcp lease time, Yes, I have seen that the static lan clients time over-rides the default time - the workaround is to remove the machine from the static lan clients allocation (which doesn't make much sense in half-bridge). I may be able to change this in future.
xbipin
Regular
Regular

Post by xbipin » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:07 pm

mstombs wrote:Re dhcp lease time, Yes, I have seen that the static lan clients time over-rides the default time - the workaround is to remove the machine from the static lan clients allocation (which doesn't make much sense in half-bridge). I may be able to change this in future.
ok the following is what i did, set the RT router to go into half bridge as soon as it boots and it did do it and the monowall router did get the public ip but then all the clients that were connected to monowall lost internet access and even restarting the monowall wasnt giving monowall clients internet access so then i had to do it the original way that is connect monowall to the RT router in normal NAT but then i set the monowall ip in DMZ in the RT router so monowall can do all the port opening etc as i have no clue if monowall can make use of the RT upnp feature to open ports.
in short the experiment was a failure

oe more thing, is there a way in RT with which i can make its clients go through a proxy server bcoz my isp uses a proxy server and if its defined in IE proxy then it works very good and if not defined then pages take a bit longer time to open up so i want to be able to set it in RT such a way that either clients specify or no, everything should go through the isp proxy ip
beingaware

Post by beingaware » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:15 pm

beingaware wrote:
thechief wrote:Presumably you did a reset to defaults after loading the firmware, and followed the instruction to set your modulation to multi_mode?
I did a full reset, before and after, and yes I did leave it on multi mode at first, it still seemed to like g.lite.
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:40 pm

xbipin wrote:ok the following is what i did, set the RT router to go into half bridge as soon as it boots and it did do it and the monowall router did get the public ip but then all the clients that were connected to monowall lost internet access
I'm not too surprised monowall had a bug in this area 4 years ago:-

http://m0n0.ch/wall/list/showmsg.php?id=109/30

it didn't know how to set a default route to the ISP gateway (to fix all it has to do is set the route first). If you don't want to fix it in the router this can be worked around by spoofing the netmask in the modem so that IP address/Gateway appear in the same network. ie. if the IP and gateway are always A.B.C.D and A.B.E.F then use the command

pppHB.sh init -nofw -nm 255.255.0.0
beingaware

Post by beingaware » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:30 pm

Just confirming the Open 624 (600ER), based on the adam2 boot loader is 100% compatible with routertech 2.5.

All bugs worked out. :).

On a side note/feedback for future options.

Is there any way we can have a line tweak option, so we can set the modem for top speed or stability?

I think it would be a nice tweak for these modems, we all know how unstable these TI based modems can get, but on good clean lines they are pretty great syncers, it would be nice to give us users the option of picking which mode the modem is in.

Stable or fast.

Think about it. :).
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:39 pm

Re line tweaks, all we know is provided by the routerstats tool - there is one to give an extra 3dB margin I recall (note many only applicable to dsp7.2/7.3).

viewtopic.php?t=1501

I agree it would be good to be able able to request a maximum connect speed - rather than always connect at maximum - but we've not found any such option in any of the source code we have seen. If you know of any Ti AR7 modem that has such a tweak - do let us know!
beingaware

Post by beingaware » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:08 am

mstombs wrote:Re line tweaks, all we know is provided by the routerstats tool - there is one to give an extra 3dB margin I recall (note many only applicable to dsp7.2/7.3).

viewtopic.php?t=1501

I agree it would be good to be able able to request a maximum connect speed - rather than always connect at maximum - but we've not found any such option in any of the source code we have seen. If you know of any Ti AR7 modem that has such a tweak - do let us know!
Sweet application. :).

Yeah I haven't come across one yet.

The broadcom based Modems I have do, and I know Billions do, well the coding gain/power output.

Maybe along with the SNR boost we can have a look at controlling what bins the modem uses?