2 routers

General networking problems and issues. Questions about cabling, switches, hubs etc. can go here.
willshep
Regular
Regular

2 routers

Post by willshep » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:47 pm

This may have been discussed before but i've not found anything on the search so apologies in advance if that's the case..

Ok so I have RT f/w installed on a 4port ar7 based router called PLUSCOM and i like the features on it - i also have a netgear wireless router (dg834gv2) which i'm not taking the RT f/w near! I have managed to sucessfully connect the interenet to the 4port and the 4 port to the wireless and my computer through the whole lot to the internet! (by turning off DHCP on the wireless and setting a static IP on it....) BUT although it works - it's very intermittent and if i try to download a large file and the throughput goes up it sort of crashes (thats the primary router (the RT f/w)) in that i can't access the menu. Do you know of any issues in this setup?

Presumably the routers don't really like being treated like common switches - are they essentially feeling underused?

Many thanks

Will.
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:39 pm

Check this site for full "NAT-NAT" coonfig info.

http://www.rce24.co.uk/tech24/natnat.htm

Could be a memory issue on your router so try disabling all unused features such as uPNP and USB etc.
Jim

.....I'm Sorry But I Can't Do That Dave.....
willshep
Regular
Regular

Post by willshep » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:24 pm

Yea I wasn't making two separate nets - just one network where the wireless router simply acts as a wireless switch. I am guessing somewhere between the routers the throuhput was cauing problmes. Maybe in the auto senseing switch?
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:36 pm

willshep wrote:Yea I wasn't making two separate nets - just one network where the wireless router simply acts as a wireless switch. I am guessing somewhere between the routers the throuhput was cauing problmes. Maybe in the auto senseing switch?
...so did you check this config out ?

http://www.rce24.co.uk/tech24/rap.htm
Jim

willshep
Regular
Regular

Post by willshep » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:55 pm

I have now - but its exactly the same instructions that got me as far as i got which was - well internet access - and everything appraently going fine but the second the throughput goes up it crashes... i mean look i'm going to just get a wireless router that i can load rt onto like the wireless pluscom but yea it would be better if i could figure out why it was crashing with the kit i've already got. I'm not using a crossover cable between the two devices - thinking that maybe the autosenseing ehternet thing will sort that out but it does crash when the throughput goes too high so that's a shame really...

BUt thanks for the reply!
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:47 am

Is it P2P applications downloading ? and does the lock up seem to happen after a specific amount of data downloaded or is it after a specific period of time ?

If it's P2P/Torrent downloads you could try limiting the number of concurrent connections/downloads.....

EDIT: - BTW does it happen when you download through the single router which locks up or only when in the 2paired" configuration ?
Jim

willshep
Regular
Regular

Post by willshep » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:33 am

i havent tried p2p - basically what i did was i connected ddirectly to the pluscom and internet and tried downloading a large file - no problem. then plugging the netgear wireless into it and setting all the right ips etc.. and connecting wirelessly to the netgear - then same site - (thinkbroadband.com ' s file downloading section) and the downlooad starts - but then speed drops to 0 then a blip to 567 then 0 - but maily it stays on 0. At this time too I can't access the router menus - in fact both menus are very laggy - so yea. Odd one!

I keep thinking the 'auto-sensing' switch is the problem - but i have no data on that at all.

W.
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:28 pm

Odd indeed - does te router have the ability to "force" a port speed for the ethernet ports - I know mine does..... also have you tried differnet ethernet cables and difernet ports on the routers ?
Jim

willshep
Regular
Regular

Post by willshep » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:07 pm

I think it does yea - and no i havent - i actually have a corssover cable too which i'll try..

W.
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:25 pm

Always worth a shot - let us know how you get on :)
Jim

willshep
Regular
Regular

Post by willshep » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:21 pm

Well - as with most of these things - it's usually something that hasn't been done properly that is at fault... and in my case I was using a 12v DC multivoltage transformer that put out max of 500mA which isn't enough for mr AR7 - so i've found the right one and it's fine now! I'm happy now because although I don't have the RAM on the 4 port wired router to get extra RT firmware features, it's better than nothing - and rshaperctl itself is worth the hassle!

Thanks for your help.
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:15 pm

No problem - glad you are sorted :)

...what made you suspect the PSU then ?
Jim

friendskash
Novice
Novice

Post by friendskash » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:36 pm

hi guys i just boughtthe dlink DSL2640T router as my old router Aztech DSL605EW was facing problem of disconnection now what i want to do is set up a Wireless Distribution system but the problem i am facing is that my Dlink router doesnot support WDS but my Aztech router support WDS so is it possible to set my Aztech router as an AP without a LAN wire using WDS....... Plz help thanx in advance
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:46 pm

Which firmware are you using on the Aztech ? the RT F/W supports WDS but has not been tested for compatibility with your other wireless router.....
Jim

willshep
Regular
Regular

Post by willshep » Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:16 pm

Well i've just moved house and at first I was using a 9v dc trans for the power and it still worked but then i found a data sheet on the pluscom router indicating it's 12v not 9v! So i decided to use my generic multivolt selector transformer while i looked for the actual one - as i've just moved house - but didn't realise that although the voltage was right, the trans was not designed to put out more than 500mA and on the data sheet it indicated that the psu for the pluscom was rated at 12v1A so it makes sense that when it was pushed harder ie higher throughput, it struggled.

but yea this set up is really good now - thanks again a lot for the firmware and the support!