Suggestions box

All errors or issues on the website/forums should be reported here and will be investigated. Support questions about how to use/access features not documented in the forum FAQ and discussion about the site forums are also welcome here, but please read this thread before posting such items.
Steve
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by Steve » Mon May 08, 2006 1:06 pm

Thanks, might help us prioritise any topics that are for support rather than tech chat etc.

Have found the Active Topics view useful :thumb: as I usually work by checking "view posts since last visit" and reading through everything...however I have on occasion killed my session by accident without having gone through everything....meaning it will not show next time I log in using this method.

Active topics allows me to check for new posts more efficiently. :clap: I don't check e-mail notifications as I get too many through.
He ached all over. It wasn't just that his brain was writing cheques that his body couldn't cash. It had gone beyond that. Now his feet were borrowing money that his legs hadn't got, and his back muscles were looking for loose change under the sofa cushions.
- Terry Pratchett

www.bliss.org.uk
Kieran
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Kieran » Mon May 08, 2006 1:09 pm

Steve wrote:Active topics allows me to check for new posts more efficiently. :clap: I don't check e-mail notifications as I get too many through.
I always remember the time I forgot to disable e-mail on AT when I went away to the states for a month. I was set to be notified of every new thread in every forum and every reply to every thread even if I had never posted to it. I had 6000 e-mails just from the forum when I got home :shock:
Kieran
"Indeed!"
Invaluable links: Forum Rules | Networking Guides | FAQ | Site Search | Forum Search <-- Use it or feel my wrath!
No support via PM, please ask your questions in the forum!
Steve
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by Steve » Mon May 08, 2006 1:10 pm

Not something you have to worry about now...well not from AT anyway. :lol:
He ached all over. It wasn't just that his brain was writing cheques that his body couldn't cash. It had gone beyond that. Now his feet were borrowing money that his legs hadn't got, and his back muscles were looking for loose change under the sofa cushions.
- Terry Pratchett

www.bliss.org.uk
Kieran
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Kieran » Mon May 08, 2006 1:13 pm

True enough; although there were less AT admin in those days, so there was more to do, meaning notifications were essential.

Here we are split into teams so I only have to subscribe to things that are essential for me to do. I of course read other things, but when up against it I can ease off.
Kieran
"Indeed!"
Invaluable links: Forum Rules | Networking Guides | FAQ | Site Search | Forum Search <-- Use it or feel my wrath!
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Mon May 08, 2006 1:14 pm

Steve wrote:Thanks, might help us prioritise any topics that are for support rather than tech chat etc.
You seem to have that the wrong way round Steve - just thought that I'd mention it ....... :wink:
Jim

.....I'm Sorry But I Can't Do That Dave.....
Kieran
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Kieran » Mon May 08, 2006 1:15 pm

Shotokan101 wrote:You seem to have that the wrong way round Steve - just thought that I'd mention it ....... :wink:
Not for a support team member he hasn't ;)
Kieran
"Indeed!"
Steve
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by Steve » Mon May 08, 2006 1:15 pm

Next suggestion, how about "toolbar" on the home page with the Active topics button, PM inbox button, reported posts button etc. Not necessarily the text until you hover on the button.

I know they refer to the forum, and really belong where they currently are, but would be a quick access rather than opening the forum page first.

Also, a Site search button / forum search button in the same toolbar?
- Terry Pratchett

www.bliss.org.uk
Kieran
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Kieran » Mon May 08, 2006 1:21 pm

Steve wrote:Next suggestion, how about "toolbar" on the home page with the Active topics button, PM inbox button, reported posts button etc. Not necessarily the text until you hover on the button.

I know they refer to the forum, and really belong where they currently are, but would be a quick access rather than opening the forum page first.
The problem is that those buttons are generated dynamically - note not everyone sees a reported posts button for instance ;)
Steve wrote:Also, a Site search button / forum search button in the same toolbar?
There is already a large welcome notice with links to these.....
Kieran
"Indeed!"
Steve
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by Steve » Mon May 08, 2006 1:36 pm

Yeah but you actually have to read the notice to find them. :whistle: Would expect to get more users using the search facility before posting if there was a nice clear button. People don't want to have to actually look for anything...we are getting used to being spoonfed information without putting in any effort (looks for couch potatoe smilie)

Take your point about dynamic buttons, and if that is more trouble than it is worth, np.
- Terry Pratchett

www.bliss.org.uk
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Mon May 08, 2006 1:38 pm

How about just a plain link to the "Active Topics" page at the bottom of the "Recent Forum Topics" box on the top LHS? You could have a link at the bottom of that box with "More..." ;)
RouterTech Team and Founding Member
RouterTech Merchandise (UK)
No support via PM, please ask your questions on the forum!
Kieran
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Kieran » Mon May 08, 2006 1:45 pm

Steve wrote:
Yeah but you actually have to read the notice to find them. :whistle: Would expect to get more users using the search facility before posting if there was a nice clear button. People don't want to have to actually look for anything...we are getting used to being spoonfed information without putting in any effort (looks for couch potatoe smilie)

Take your point about dynamic buttons, and if that is more trouble than it is worth, np.
I can syndicate the links you see at the top of all forum pages on the portal page, but I wanted to try and keep the portal, site pages and knowledge base clear of the forum so it was obvious where you were. If there is demand to have all those links on the home page however, there is only 1 line of code I need to add to make them go there.

I take your point about not being told where to go, but you have to hit the forum link before you can post in it, and then bam, the search link is at the top....
Kieran
"Indeed!"
Steve
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by Steve » Mon May 08, 2006 1:53 pm

I agree that most forum related buttons are best kept in the forum pages not everywhere else.

It was only really for the hom page where I think users would benefit with the buttons. Active (Forum) Topics, FAQ(or site) search, and Forum Search.

Buttons (maybe text underneathalong side or as rollover) rather than text links, in my opinion.
- Terry Pratchett

www.bliss.org.uk
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Tue May 09, 2006 9:20 pm

How about if you type a username into the PM "to" box and then hit "search" it copies the user into the search dialogue for you and searches ?
Jim

Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Tue May 09, 2006 9:48 pm

Bet you can guess what I'm going to say :) : how about you click on the 'find a username' button and then type in the username (and then click on the 'search' button)?
RouterTech Team and Founding Member
RouterTech Merchandise (UK)
No support via PM, please ask your questions on the forum!
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Tue May 09, 2006 10:51 pm

Neo wrote:Bet you can guess what I'm going to say :) : how about you click on the 'find a username' button and then type in the username (and then click on the 'search' button)?
Bet you know what my reply's gonna be :twisted:

...however what you ay has Some Merit - in that case why not rearange the page so that the Search box is next to the FIND Button :?
Jim