can you connect 2 modems?

Support forum for routers of all shapes and sizes. As long as it's router based and doesn't fall into the other categories, this is the place to ask your questions.
mattrix

can you connect 2 modems?

Post by mattrix » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:19 pm

Basically, Is it possible to configure/convert an ATU-R to act like an ATU-C?

I imagine this would be useful for

A testing environment
OR
To connect 2 networks, One of which has no internet access, but they are more than 100m apart. (I've seen this done using dialup modems over a private cable)
OR
Hey, It would just be cool; to be able to see details from both ends of the wire side by side.

However I can't find anyone who has actually done this, so, can it be done?
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: can you connect 2 modems?

Post by thechief » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:28 pm

I have no idea what ATU-R or ATU-C are. However, you could possibly connect two wireless routers, if they both support WDS (probably has to be from the same manufacturer and running the same firmware), and if their wireless range is good enough.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
mattrix

Post by mattrix » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:55 am

Terminology I picked up somewhere, ATU-C = Adsl Termination Unit - Central office (R = Remote end), guess its not commonly used, sorry.

I did mean connected by wire, a single pair between the RJ11 sockets.
I just figured if it could be done you guy's would have done it to use for diagnosing connection problems, when you are writing new firmware revisions.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:09 pm

mattrix wrote:I did mean connected by wire, a single pair between the RJ11 sockets.
What would be the point of connecting the RJ11 sockets on two routers to each other? How would either of them connect to the internet?

You might want to consider an RJ11 to RJ45 converter - or simply connect the two routers via RJ45. I have done one or the other of these before (can't remember which).
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
mattrix

Post by mattrix » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:07 am

thechief wrote:What would be the point ...
To be able to test a modem/router device without having to connect it to the internet.
The second modem/router device is set up to pretend to be the ISP end.