Internal Communication error

All about firmwares for routers. Support for RouterTech firmwares is here too.
andrewluck

Internal Communication error

Post by andrewluck » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:33 pm

Hi All

I'm running RouterTech v2.94 with an 8 IP range from Zen Internet. I keep getting the Internal Communication error message which from reading some posts here means that the router is misconfigured in some way.

I've setup my router's public IP address on the LAN interface and set the ppp interface to unnumbered as it uses the same address. NAT and firewall are turned off. Internet access is fine but still I get this error.

Can anyone offer any further guidance?

Regards

Andrew
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: Internal Communication error

Post by thechief » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:40 pm

andrewluck wrote:I've setup my router's public IP address on the LAN interface and set the ppp interface to unnumbered as it uses the same address. NAT and firewall are turned off. Internet access is fine but still I get this error.

Can anyone offer any further guidance?
Yes. Some features in the web interface are only accessible from private IP address ranges. This is a security measure, and will not be changed.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
andrewluck

Post by andrewluck » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:49 pm

That was what I call a quick reply. Thanks.

So, if I want to get around this restriction and access these functions is this possible without having to reconfigure the LAN interface first? Can I set an additional private address on the LAN interface?

Edit: Thinking about this a little further, would it be worthwhile using the router in bridge mode, then I assume I could set a private IP on it's LAN interface and use the router behind it to manage the public addresses.

Andrew
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:04 pm

I am not sure about either of these - but you need to be accessing the web interface from a PC that has a private IP address (see http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1918).
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
andrewluck

Post by andrewluck » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:11 pm

OK, Thanks

I'll have a mess around with the settings and see what happens.
andrewluck

Post by andrewluck » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:16 pm

Well that was easy. To document this for anyone else, the changes I had to make were as follows:

1: Add an rfc1918 address to the outside interface of the firewall (Mikrotik RouterOS)

2: Remove the current WAN connection from RT. Change the LAN address to one in the same range as 1 above and set the default gateway to the address set in 1 above.

3: Setup a WAN bridge interface on the RT

4: Setup a PPPoE client interface on the firewall using the Zen username & password. Remove the existing default gateway

5: Change any NAT rules on the firewall to use the PPPoE interface rather than the external ethernet

Existing external IP addresses within my /29 block on the firewall's ethernet interface continue to work. Additionally, I've gained another IP address as I no longer have to allocate one to the ADSL router.

Andrew
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:48 pm

andrewluck wrote:Well that was easy.
If you say so! :shock:
andrewluck wrote:To document this for anyone else, the changes I had to make were as follows:...
Many thanks. :)
Teebe
Novice
Novice

Post by Teebe » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:03 pm

Dear all,

my AR7 router prompts ice all the times i try to access the rt tools page, in the previous posts it has been explained it happens because router internal ip is not on private network (rfc1918).
My ip is in the class b private, ip=172.26.0.0 mask=255.255.255.248, effectively a 6 hosts private network, could it be be the case?

I noticed also other failures when not using the default ip (192.168.1.1), such wireless going dumb, loss of internet connections (testing with ping -t to a dns address). Could be connected with router ip settings?

Thank you

Tiberio
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:32 am

Connect via telnet and post the output of this command

Code: Select all

diagnostics.sh
Teebe
Novice
Novice

Post by Teebe » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:05 pm

Here is my diagnostics output.

Tiberio
Teebe
Novice
Novice

Post by Teebe » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:09 pm

..and the file...
T
diagnostics-20101108.txt
(22.52 KiB) Downloaded 578 times
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:47 am

Unfortunately, the information is not complete, as the core logic is not running (perhaps crashed). This may be the cause of your problem (or it may not).

You need to run the command again (perhaps a few minutes after rebooting the router). If you run the "ps" command, it should show, among other things, "/usr/bin/cm_logic". If it doesn't, then there is a major problem.
Teebe
Novice
Novice

Post by Teebe » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:59 am

Hi,

effectively suddenly after sending the output file i issued a reboot command in telnet and after a smooth restart i found the core logic up and web page without ice.

I am wandering how to wisely use the AR7/2.94, it looks like either is fragile or it needs some time (and resetting's) before stabilize, like if it was learning something meanwhile.
If just used to connect ADSL and config wireless probably is steadier than configuring much more things, like port forwarding, network slice, darkstat commands etc etc.

Could you please advice which are the most sensitive part of 2.94, which is the most prone to bad effect command or configuration?

I saw there are at least 3 different ways to reset and restart,
1 - hw push button (shortpush=restart, longpush=reset+restart)
2 - web restart or load factory
3 - telnet reboot (which makes restarting only)
Are these procedures all the same or restarting can have different flows?

Thank you

Tiberio
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:52 pm

Teebe wrote:effectively suddenly after sending the output file i issued a reboot command in telnet and after a smooth restart i found the core logic up and web page without ice.
Yes, rebooting often cures certain problems.
Teebe wrote:I am wandering how to wisely use the AR7/2.94, it looks like either is fragile or it needs some time (and resetting's) before stabilize, like if it was learning something meanwhile.
There is nothing inherently wrong with AR7. The main problems are the adam2 bootloader, and running more things than installed RAM can cope with. Often there is also a hardware issue - capacitors, transistors, power supplies, dodgy flash, etc. Any of these things can cause a problem.
Teebe wrote:I saw there are at least 3 different ways to reset and restart,
1 - hw push button (shortpush=restart, longpush=reset+restart)
2 - web restart or load factory
3 - telnet reboot (which makes restarting only)
Are these procedures all the same or restarting can have different flows?
They are not all the same.
Teebe
Novice
Novice

Post by Teebe » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:49 pm

Hi
tonight, after ~2 days uninterrupted service i found again the 'internal communication error' prompt on Tools->System Diagnostics..RT Configurations menus. Can you please have a look to diagnostics output?

Tiberio
diagnostics-20101111.txt
(37.35 KiB) Downloaded 570 times