RouterTech Firmware 2.95 Discussion

All about firmwares for routers. Support for RouterTech firmwares is here too.
Kieran
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

RouterTech Firmware 2.95 Discussion

Post by Kieran » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:44 pm

This is the place to discuss (thanks, suggestions, criticisms etc.) the v2.95 release of the RouterTech firmware, available for download here

For support, problems, bugs or other such firmware related questions or issues, please start a new thread
Kieran
"Indeed!"
Invaluable links: Forum Rules | Networking Guides | FAQ | Site Search | Forum Search <-- Use it or feel my wrath!
No support via PM, please ask your questions in the forum!
TafnaSM
Regular
Regular

Re: RouterTech Firmware 2.95 Discussion

Post by TafnaSM » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:06 pm

Tried the new firmware and after a day trial and error I'll give up and go back to 2.94 tomorrow.
After hours and several brick/debrick sessions I've nearly got everything up and running except wireless. In the 2.94 I was able to select WPA and there WPA2 and it worked fine with my notebook. Now with 2.95 the notebook can't see the network. In the security page there is no WPA2. However, selecting WPA does nothing. After save, restart access point or reboot it falls back to WEP regardless, if i select "none, 802.1x or WPA".

MfG Stefan Fröhlich
42 ;-)
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:13 pm

There is no reason why any of that should be happening. As we always say, post the system diagnostics.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
TafnaSM
Regular
Regular

Post by TafnaSM » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:30 am

Sorry, it was too late yesterday. Must have downloaded the wrong firmware. Wireless works now...
An absolute beginners mistake...

MfG Stefan Fröhlich
42 ;-)
tasso85
Experienced
Experienced

Post by tasso85 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:39 am

Updated my dlink dls g624t to version 2.95 from 2.93 using the web interface with no problem at all.

Well, I found ONE problem: when trying to update the router using chrome as my browser, I got an error uploading the firmware which said that the file did not have the checksum :? trying again using firefox went perfectly instead...

Also, using the web interface in firefox with web developer toolbar active points out some javascript errors, perhaps you might want to give it a look...

Errore: jslDoOnLoad is not defined
File sorgente: http://192.168.1.1/cgi-bin/webcm?getpag ... e=rtconfig
Riga: 1

EDIT: I found the error in System -> RT Configuration
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:59 pm

Thanks for the report. It is harmless (triggered by the assigning of an empty value). But I have now sorted that out.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
brylok1981
Regular
Regular

Post by brylok1981 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:56 pm

hi

Can i convert my config from 2.94 to 2.95?

I have meny QoS rules and other settings

i don't have time to setup this manually
tasso85
Experienced
Experienced

Post by tasso85 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:04 pm

If I remember correctly, there is no such tool to convert an old config to a newer one, you'll have to do it all from scratch.

But I can agree with you, it's quite annoying...
tasso85
Experienced
Experienced

Post by tasso85 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:06 pm

thechief wrote:Thanks for the report. It is harmless (triggered by the assigning of an empty value). But I have now sorted that out.
what about the upload problem I found using chrome? Was it a random error, or is there actually a problem with that browser?
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:05 pm

tasso85 wrote:what about the upload problem I found using chrome? Was it a random error, or is there actually a problem with that browser?
I have no idea. But there is no such problem with IE or FF, so the finger points at Chrome.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:13 pm

brylok1981 wrote:Can i convert my config from 2.94 to 2.95?
No. And, if there was, I wouldn't recommend it. The TI core logics are not very robust, and such attempts could very easily brick your router (in this case, meaning that the core logic would always segfault and die, and you would not be able to boot up the router) - without the PCtool or similar (to flash a new firmware with a good config) you would be well and truly stumped.
brylok1981 wrote:i don't have time to setup this manually
Most things that can be done from the web interface can be done from a script - if you know the relevant cm_cli* commands and parameters. You can start by looking at the cm_cli.pdf file.

Converting your saved config.bin to xml format will enable you to see the relevant key names to give to the cm_cli commands.
phosty

Post by phosty » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:18 pm

Was it a random error, or is there actually a problem with that browser?
No, not random - in fact I had the same issue when I first installed RT 2.94 over my stock Safecom SWART 52415 firmware via the standard web interface using Chrome. Thought I'd bricked it when the progress bar just stalled - but when I noticed my internet was still working I tried it again with IE and no problems. So I guess it's something to do with the original web interface code - I assume the RT web interface borrows some of the same code?

Might be worth a warning not to use Chrome when updating firmwares?
mysticalos
Experienced
Experienced

Post by mysticalos » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:31 pm

no webupdate problem with safari, which is webkit based like chrome, although probably an older webkit build as chrome likes to push the nightlies into their browser (gives better speed but probably at the cost of other issues, but then again that's all chrome advertises right? speed).
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:38 pm

phosty wrote:So I guess it's something to do with the original web interface code
It is something to do with Chrome.
phosty wrote:I assume the RT web interface borrows some of the same code?
Yes. All firmwares based on the TI reference code are based on the same code, patched to a greater or lesser extent (if at all), depending on many things.
phosty wrote:Might be worth a warning not to use Chrome when updating firmwares?
Yes, I think that is worth doing.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:12 pm

tasso85 wrote:If I remember correctly, there is no such tool to convert an old config to a newer one, you'll have to do it all from scratch.

But I can agree with you, it's quite annoying...
As said above, you can do virtually everything using cm_cli commands. Attached is a script that I use to restore my settings following each firmware upgrade. I have it as "/nvram/startup.sh", so it runs every time the router boots up. I have my ISP and DDNS settings saved as "/nvram/user.conf". What this means is that, after each firmware upgrade and automatic reset of the confg, the next bootup sees all the ISP and other settings restored automatically. In such a case, the script will take about 3 minutes or more to complete its work. It is not always 100% successful in restoring absolutely everything, and one needs to check via the web interface that it is all there. But the success rate is about 95%. If the firmware is already configured for the ISP, the script just returns without doing anything.

This is a limited script for my own purposes, and it is still very much work-in-progress. Studying it will give you a good idea of how to use cm_cli* commands, and how the various config.xml keys are specified. Anyone who wishes to take this on as a project to develop it into an all-singing, all-dancing router configuration script is welcome to do so.

As usual, all disclaimers apply. Use at your own peril.
Attachments
firmware_configure.zip
Sample shell script to configure RouterTech firmwares using cm_cli commands. Requires RouterTech firmware v2.95 or later.
(3.14 KiB) Downloaded 653 times