D-Link DSL-G624T LAN ports not working

Support forum for routers of all shapes and sizes. As long as it's router based and doesn't fall into the other categories, this is the place to ask your questions.
jonas

D-Link DSL-G624T LAN ports not working

Post by jonas » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:41 pm

Hi,

I have for a long time had a problem connecting wired equipment to my network, based on the D-Link G624T ADSL2+ router.
Wireless works perfectly, but whenever I connect a NEW equipment to any of the LAN ports it's not working. The strange thing is that my laptop that normally connects through wifi works just as well on cable!

I've tried to reset all settings without success. I cannot update the firmware (using the dedicated router web interface, step by step according to instructions). My thoughts goes in the direction of the unit SW not being able to accept new devices (MAC addresses), but I haven't got a clue if there is any cache to clear or how to..

Firmware version is V3.00B01T02.TA-A.20060626.

Everything works fine with my old G604T router, but since that only supports 8mbit ADSL I'd prefer to use the G624T.

I found one post on the net that seem to be exactly the same. It was a few years old and did not publish the solution.

Anyone that has any idea that can save me from buying a brand new piece?

Thanks!
Jonas
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: D-Link DSL-G624T LAN ports not working

Post by thechief » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:46 pm

Looks like a problem with the G624T's switch. The adm6996m switch in the 624Ts can be quite problematic, especially if you have a firmware that doesn't quite support it. If the problem is that the firmware doesn't support the switch, then you should be able to upgrade the firmware using the PCtool (Adam2App) or Dlink's tiupgrade utility, which operate at the bootloader level. But if the switch is dying (probably the case), then you are simply postponing the evil day.

BTW: your G604T should be able to support the latest ADSL standards if you upgrade the firmware.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
hihani

Post by hihani » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:23 pm

mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:41 pm

Linksys WAG54GV2 also has history of switch failure caused by electrolytic capacitors. Common symptom is that they work for a bit at reduced speed of 10Mb/s for a while

http://gavinbenda.com.au/2007/05/27/wag ... placement/
jonas

Post by jonas » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:27 pm

Wow guys - you rock! I'll give it a try with the firmware updates and some hardware updates if required. Will let you know how it works. Thanks a lot!
KevinR
Regular
Regular

Re: D-Link DSL-G624T LAN ports not working - seen similar

Post by KevinR » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:23 pm

Seen a similar failure to this.
I had a DSL-G604T that refused to connect on any ports at 100 base-t. All ports worked fine at 10 base-t. I was going to replace the capacitors as an experiment but didn't get around to it.

Based on the information at the "badcaps" website and component specifications its quite easy to see that normal capacitors are not guaranteed to last more than a year or three in a device that is on 24/7. Operating temperatures inside are a big factor though.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: D-Link DSL-G624T LAN ports not working - seen similar

Post by thechief » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:32 pm

KevinR wrote:Based on the information at the "badcaps" website and component specifications its quite easy to see that normal capacitors are not guaranteed to last more than a year or three in a device that is on 24/7. Operating temperatures inside are a big factor though.
Most of these old routers are beginning to fail one-by-one. You might prolong the router's life by switching it off at night, especially since there is no particular need for routers to be left on when you go to bed (unless you are downloading stuff). After all, you wouldn't leave other electrical stuff on 24/7.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.