RouterTech Firmware 2.96 Discussion

All about firmwares for routers. Support for RouterTech firmwares is here too.
asmfan
Novice
Novice

Re: RouterTech Firmware 2.96 Discussion

Post by asmfan » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:16 am

Why with every new (re-)connection ADAM2 env. fragmentation gets worse and records numbers encreased:
Environment fragmentation:
Fragmentation level is "2" (out of 49 records). The threshold is "30".

Environment fragmentation:
Fragmentation level is "3" (out of 50 records). The threshold is "30".
How to decode router config files into simple non-bin format? And why after just connecting RRT (recov tool) to router i get completely different config file saved from web interface just before RRT usage? What's changed by RRT silently or intentionally to configs (MAC? else?).

How many people there really involved in code writing of custom firmware who's able to speak on firmware functions level and its behavior not just pretending of knowing smth. unprescribed in FAQ or Help or else.
Who's involved in real development of core?
legume
Experienced
Experienced

Post by legume » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:41 pm

asmfan wrote:
thechief wrote:I think paaja has answered your question (as far as one can understand what you're saying). If you are not satisfied with the answers, then do your own testing with the setting on and off, and you will see what difference it makes.
I see that ping -f -l and with disabled "enforcement" is restricted to MRU/MTU settings in router. So what about hardcoded 1500 thechief? Able to understand the discussion above?
You are probably right that 1500 is not hardcoded, but I can't say for sure because I don't have the enforce option with my pppoa connection (it seems like it's always on for me)

The way I think it works is than the enforce will make an iptables command as shown below which you can see in FORWARD by telneting into your router and doing -

Code: Select all

iptables -L -vn
         TCPMSS     tcp  --  *      ppp0    0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0          tcp flags:0x06/0x02 TCPMSS clamp to PMTU
I think toggling enforce on/off will add and remove that - but you need to test yourself.
What this does is catches the tcp syn and syn/ack packets heading out to ppp0 and modifies the maximum segment size field (MTU on ppp0 - 40) so that the other end of the tcp connection doesn't send packets any bigger than that.

You can also see that effects setting the MRU value has by checking the debug box , changing it/apply so that a new ppp is started and then running

showlog.sh

Which for me shows that the MRU specified is requested during ppp negotiation - and so becomes MTU on the other end.
Without the iptables mss clamping this is bad (assuming the ISP kit honors it) as it will make some websites (that block ICMP frag needed packets, have DF bit set and don't enable blackhole detection) inaccessible.

ifconfig

should show that MTU on ppp0 is set to this value also. In the case of routers MTU alone probably wouldn't cause problems - but unlike setting it on a PC it would only affect outbound packets.
asmfan
Novice
Novice

Post by asmfan » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:19 pm

legume wrote: The way I think it works is than the enforce will make an iptables command as shown below which you can see in FORWARD by telneting into your router and doing -

iptables -L -vn
         TCPMSS     tcp  --  *      ppp0    0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0          tcp flags:0x06/0x02 TCPMSS clamp to PMTU
I think toggling enforce on/off will add and remove that - but you need to test yourself.
What this does is catches the tcp syn and syn/ack packets heading out to ppp0 and modifies the maximum segment size field (MTU on ppp0 - 40) so that the other end of the tcp connection doesn't send packets any bigger than that.
Wow legume! Your answer's just precious! Indeed! It exactly how you said. Iptable rule is added by this switch.

It means that it restricts TCP (R)WIN / PMTU discovery / MSS to that val MTU-40 (TCP/IP headers) right applying it in routing tables processing mechanisms.

Indeed only ppp0 MTU affects DSLAM handshake/negotiations. Other Ethernet frames are quite default 1500 and not affect anything.

diagnostics shows as well:

Iptables chains
Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT 54343 packets, 8958K bytes)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source               destination         
 3385  176K TCPMSS     tcp  --  any    ppp0    anywhere             anywhere           tcp flags:SYN,RST/SYN TCPMSS clamp to PMTU 
legume respect to you, great answer! Clarifies a lot. And surely deserves its place in FAQ on the very 1st page! Well done man!
legume
Experienced
Experienced

Post by legume » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:41 pm

I am glad it helps.

I don't think it's quite right to talk of DSLAMS and rwin as such as they are not really relevant.

DSLAMS really only care about low level things upto ATM layer, maybe AAL5.
Setting mss is way higher layer than that and is between you and every different server you connect to.
The ppp MRU is between you and your ISP - the DSLAM at the exchange doesn't really know or care about it.

Rwin is sometimes associated with mss by tweak sites, but messing with that is a separate thing from setting mss.
gina1

Post by gina1 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:19 pm

Wow! thanks for all the info. I hope I'll be able to grasp all the technicalities though. I'm not a very techie person but I'm trying :) :)

Edit: SPAM signature removed by thechief.
asmfan
Novice
Novice

Post by asmfan » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:58 pm

OK link level vs. transport/TCP.
Definitely your post deserves to be in FAQ.
asmfan
Novice
Novice

Post by asmfan » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:19 pm

found that if connection with *debug* enabled gets deleted(!) - *debug* logging keeps being active until router reset to def.
mysticalos
Experienced
Experienced

Post by mysticalos » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:34 pm

i've gone through all the options and i can't finda nything for setting a bandwidth restriction by IP, but i swear this was a feature somewhere am I just blind? is it commandline only and not GUI? when i have house guests i on't want them firing up skype or torrents and killing my latency for gaming, i want to set bandwidth priority based on static IPs, if this isn't a feature is it possible to get it? I've tried QoS but it isn't quite the solution i need it to be. I want to literally choke a persons bandwidth, not traffic priority.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:03 pm

rshaper/netshaper
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
mysticalos
Experienced
Experienced

Post by mysticalos » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:03 am

ah i see now, looks like they both do same exact thing so what's the purpose of having both?
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:47 am

Choice.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
Yaron

Post by Yaron » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:46 pm

Hey guys, I'm having some issues with 2.96 and Aztech 600E (SAR600E) 2.93 worked perfect, this firmware gets disconnected once every few days and hitting connect doesn't work, I have to delete the connection, then restart, then add it again, then restart and then it connected automatically 5 minutes after the web interface is all set up (meaning the router was fully loaded).

Do you guys have any idea? suggestions?
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:29 am

Perhaps you're running out of memory. Without the system diagnostics information, one can only speculate.

What is wrong with disconnecting from the mains, waiting a few minutes, and reconnecting?
Yaron

Post by Yaron » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:56 pm

I can't really tell but apparently the sudden disconnection is done by another network node (another router).
The only problem is that the router won't connect without restart and even after restart its taking a very long time.

What details you want me to provide?
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:09 pm

Please post the system diagnostics ("Tools" menu) - and explain how your network is configured (I don't understand this talk of other nodes (routers)).