DSL-G604T low downstream speed

Support forum for routers of all shapes and sizes. As long as it's router based and doesn't fall into the other categories, this is the place to ask your questions.
Damo

DSL-G604T low downstream speed

Post by Damo » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:25 pm

I have this router flashed with the latest Routertech custom firmware. I've noticed that the downstream speed syncs no higher than 12mb, whereas the Sky Sagemcom router syncs at 14.5mb. The upstream speed syncs at the same speed on both routers, 1.15mb.

Does anyone know what the problem may be?
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: DSL-G604T low downstream speed

Post by mstombs » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:31 pm

Is the modulation mode the same?, I believe 12Mb is the maximum for ADSL2, higher needs ADSL2_plus. There may be some tweaks (see the RouterStatsLogger) - but compare actual download speeds and stability - it may not be worth getting a slightly higher connect speed if its not as robust.
Damo

Post by Damo » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:37 pm

mstombs wrote:Is the modulation mode the same?, I believe 12Mb is the maximum for ADSL2, higher needs ADSL2_plus. There may be some tweaks (see the RouterStatsLogger) - but compare actual download speeds and stability - it may not be worth getting a slightly higher connect speed if its not as robust.
I've tried both ADSL2_plus and Multi_Mode and see no changes whatsoever.

I've tried altering the SNR via the RouterStatsLogger, but see no changes to my synced speeds either.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:04 am

What download speeds are you actually getting on both routers?
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
Damo

Post by Damo » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:15 am

thechief wrote:What download speeds are you actually getting on both routers?
I can download at a speed of 1.4mb on the Sky router and 1mb on the G604T.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:37 am

Post the system diagnostics ("Tools" menu). That will show whether there is any software or configuration issue. Post also any relevant information from the Sky router (e.g., modulation, path mode, etc).

It may well be that the difference is due to the hardware. After all, the g604t is very old.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.