RouterTech Firmware 2.97 Discussion

All about firmwares for routers. Support for RouterTech firmwares is here too.
mysticalos
Experienced
Experienced

Re: RouterTech Firmware 2.97 Discussion

Post by mysticalos » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:11 pm

thechief wrote:What about the capacitors?
i haven't visually seen anything wrong with any of parts, i keep the inside clean too. fortunately it's not mid summer yet so i don't need the 7.5 driver yet. got a little bit before my margins drop to 2-4 in the afternoon. Just going to need to find a replacement soonish so i can get back to this non RoHC compliant hardware that gets better attenuation and supports 7.5 heh. something that can handle the bad of bad lines in the summertime. :) the solwise gets 54 for atn when the dlink gets 51, and in summer the solwise definitely drops sync a lot more then dlink did. Of course the real fix would be to not live in a town where all the phone lines were built pre civil war. But that's not happening any time soon. So i have to count on the awesomeness of RT firmware to make decent hardware even better at handling my bad internet :). IF it weren't for RT firmware i probably wouldn't get anything done in the summer. :)
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:18 am

mysticalos wrote:IF it weren't for RT firmware i probably wouldn't get anything done in the summer. :)
Glad to be of help :) Perhaps you'll get fibre optics soon!
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
Weather
Regular
Regular

Post by Weather » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:33 pm

If I request web-interface at the stage, when modem is connecting or booting, then (in most cases) it is impossible to open web-interface at all. At the same time internet can work, or doesn` work, or it can work for some time at then hangs up with the web-interface.
Today, when it was reconnecting (because hardware of the provider cuts the connection once a day) I requested the web-interface. The modem hanged up: I could not open web, telnet, internet until I switched it off and on.
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:27 am

@Weather the sort of behaviour you describe is typical of what a router does when it is running out of ram. Lots of things happen on wan reconnect - dns, dddns, upnp, localnat etc which might have short-term peak ram requirements - so start by simplifying your config as much as possible. It is also possible to turn off the web interface since 99% of the time it is not needed, and when it it you can restart from telnet/ssh command line.
mysticalos
Experienced
Experienced

Post by mysticalos » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:24 am

there are also various tweeks to achieve same functionality with less ram usage if i recall. Such as setting a cron to set time instead of using SNTP, cause cron and SNTP daemon both running is pointless, when you can have cron which is already running anyways just handle another job and disable SNTP. At least that's how i understood it, they'll correct me if i'm wrong. :)
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:31 am

You're correct: firmware-faq/#optimise
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
fodil
Novice
Novice

Post by fodil » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:24 am

Hi all and thanks for this great work!

Just wat to know if there is a way to dump my router with 2.96 fw on it before upgrading ...... in case of any problem with the new 2.97 fw!!?

Thanks.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:30 am

Run the RUC and it will backup your environment, and your 2.96 configuration (only restorable on 2.96).
mysticalos
Experienced
Experienced

Post by mysticalos » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:35 pm

speaking of settings backup. Is there no way to backup a very large application/ip forwarding database or a ton of QoS settings? firmware updates make me cringe because re-setup can easily take a couple hours to redo a mass amount of settings. or transfer those types of settings from two diff RT routers (ie when my dlink was working but i wanted to clone settings over to solwise). Not sure if that's implimentable or not.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:36 pm

mysticalos wrote:Not sure if that's implimentable or not.
Backing up the config is easy (it can be done easily from the web interface, or the RUC). Restoring selected parts can be done up to a certain extent, but it would not be a trivial exercise (and the parts to be restored would have to be selected in advance before coding starts). And any such thing would not be portable between different kinds of routers. Personally, I do believe that it is a worthwhile exercise.
mysticalos
Experienced
Experienced

Post by mysticalos » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:34 pm

ugg, i drop sync so much with driver 71, still no progress with 75 on TNETW1350A? That driver makes such a huge diff on my terrible ISP, especially in summer time, it's why i always prefered the Dlink. I'd totally pay money for 75 support in TNETW1350A right now. :) Sad thing is, i'm already droping sync a lot and the margins aren't even low yet. around 11-13. That's how bad my ISP is. but with 75, usually don't drop sync until around a margin of 3
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:50 am

Off-topic discussions moved to an appropriate thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5249
mysticalos
Experienced
Experienced

Post by mysticalos » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:57 am

is there something different about the solwise then the G604T? my 604T could handle torrents like a champ with factor settings, my solwise utterly shits itself every single time. fire up a torrent, complete and total internet connection failure. It will literally drop everything and hang itself within about 5 mins, you can be assured of it. i've done everything i can to free memory, i don't know why but with same settings as Dlink, this thing is always using a lot more memory. like it's running bad i can't turn off. I don't want to run QoS, but can't be turned off, i don't want wireless but some of it is still stuck on. is there any way to kill all the extra bad and get some more memory?
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:28 pm

mysticalos wrote:is there something different about the solwise then the G604T?
This is not a firmware 2.97 specific discussion. Can you please raise this in another thread? Also, you may want to post your system diagnostics.
mysticalos
Experienced
Experienced

Post by mysticalos » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:07 am

I keep having a problem with firmware on solwise that didn't occur on dlink. Pretty much any time i DC on solwise, i HAVE to reboot it to reconnect, period. Auto reconnect fails about 1/3rd of the time, spams log with this, which basically tells me the device isn't properly terminated when my bad isp remote kills connection.

Code: Select all

Apr 25 22:01:03 pppd[2880]: pppd 2.4.4 started by root, uid 0
Apr 25 22:01:03 pppd[2880]: connect(0.35): Device or resource busy
Apr 25 22:01:03 cfgmgr(pppoa-109): del_iptable_rules : ppp_name not intact 
Apr 25 22:01:03 cfgmgr(pppoa-109): System Call Error
Apr 25 22:01:06 pppd[2881]: pppd 2.4.4 started by root, uid 0
Apr 25 22:01:06 pppd[2881]: connect(0.35): Device or resource busy
Apr 25 22:01:06 cfgmgr(pppoa-109): del_iptable_rules : ppp_name not intact 
Apr 25 22:01:06 cfgmgr(pppoa-109): System Call Error
Is this some kind of termination bug in the firmware? maybe it's not waiting long enough for hardware?
Trying to get more diagnostics is painful because while it's doing this the interface runs VERY SLOW, all the routers cpu seems to be dumped into this infinite loop process.