Automatically switch between two ISP's at certain times?

All about firmwares for routers. Support for RouterTech firmwares is here too.
sjps

Automatically switch between two ISP's at certain times?

Post by sjps » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:16 pm

Hi guys,
I have a rebranded Solwise SAR-605EW modem/router. Apparently it is compatible with the RouterTech firmware. I am currently making use of two ISP's. One offers me great data between 6:00 and 18:00, while the other offer me unlimited data between 18:00 and 6:00. I was wondering if the RouterTech fimrware is able to run a script that will automatically switch ISP's at these time intervals. I want to make the change on my router and not on my PC since I have multiple devices connected to my wireless. Also, sometimes my PC is off while the other devices are connected to the Wifi. I know some routers are able to do this and I am hoping that the RouterTech firmware is also able.
I hope my question is clear.

Thanks in advance.
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: Automatically switch between two ISP's at certain times?

Post by mstombs » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:49 am

How do you switch? The router only has 1 ADSL port. If using same phone line then if you can switch using the command line it could be automated.

Do use the tools on thus site to check what is inside your router rather than relying on the label when considering alternative firmware.
Alan
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Alan » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:30 pm

I didn't think you could have two broadband suppliers on one line?

What Country are you from?
I Wanna Live 'till I Die!
sjps

Post by sjps » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:20 pm

Alan wrote:I didn't think you could have two broadband suppliers on one line?

What Country are you from?
I am from South Africa. I have two ISP providers and I manually switch between them at certain times. One ISP offers uncapped data between 18:00 and 06:00, but are very limited between 06:00 to 18:00. For that reason I use another ISP for these times. It is not difficult, I just forget sometimes :-D

I have not flashed my modems firmware to Routertech, hence my question. I would like it if it was possible to switch my ISPs on my router (without doing it manually from my pc) automatically.

I hope it makes sense.
sjps

Post by sjps » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:22 pm

mstombs wrote:How do you switch? The router only has 1 ADSL port. If using same phone line then if you can switch using the command line it could be automated.
I log into the router via my PC and manually retype the required ISP's login details. I use a single ADSL line. Is the automation via the command line done on the PC, or directly via the router. I would be grateful if there was a way to automatically switch ISP's even if my PC is off.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:14 pm

Look at the commands here: firmware-faq/cm_cli.pdf
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.