Problem with wireless connection ASUS RT-n66u

Support forum for routers of all shapes and sizes. As long as it's router based and doesn't fall into the other categories, this is the place to ask your questions.
Ajay

Problem with wireless connection ASUS RT-n66u

Post by Ajay » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:37 pm

Any help on this problem would be greatly appreciated. I've been having a problem with my ASUS RT-n66u where every couple of days the wireless network would just drop leaving me unable to connect to the Internet with any wireless device such as my iPad, phone, or PlayStation 4. Until I reboot the router.

I own two PlayStation 4s that are frequently being used for online play by my brother and I. There are several wireless devices connected to the network as well that are frequently being used. The problem only occurs wirelessly and at random times. My PlayStation, which has a wired connection, does not lose internet connection when the drops occur.

I've searched online for a solution many times but have never found a problem exactly like mine and am becoming a little frustrated with the problem :( I would really like to figure out the problem as soon as possible.
Alan
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: Problem with wireless connection ASUS RT-n66u

Post by Alan » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:20 am

Hi, what firmware are you using? I have had the same problem with the latest merlin firmware. I have installed the latest official firmware from Asus and it cured the problem.
I Wanna Live 'till I Die!
Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:55 am

Hello and thanks for replying Alan. Im using the latest merlin software. I had the latest Asus software and had the same issue as i am now, which is why i decided to switch to merlin hoping it would solve the issue, but sadly it didnt.
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:36 pm

I have had problems with 5GHz, 2.4GHz band seems better. 5GHz seems worse using high channel numbers in UK, the "DFS range", there are are comments in the system log about "radar detection" which may be related. Asus have recently released new firmware, but I will wait till merlin gets the matching sourcecode to use for a new release. Apparently 'johns fork' may work better for some wireless clients - he uses older drivers which are less locked down by Asus's response to the FCC which remove user options to increase power etc.