Suggestions box

All errors or issues on the website/forums should be reported here and will be investigated. Support questions about how to use/access features not documented in the forum FAQ and discussion about the site forums are also welcome here, but please read this thread before posting such items.
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Suggestions box

Post by Neo » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:02 am

I propose having a suggestions-box thread, under the appropriate category :)

All suggestions should be numbered to make it easier to keep track of them.

Here's one to start the ball rolling:

1. Would it be possible to have a 'watched categories' table on the watched topics page?

No urgency on this, just bouncing ideas around ;)
Last edited by Neo on Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:18 pm

2. Perhaps have a "Recent Forum Topics" page that can be accessed from the forum index (rather than just the table under the portal)?
RouterTech Team and Founding Member
RouterTech Merchandise (UK)
No support via PM, please ask your questions on the forum!
Kieran
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Kieran » Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:20 pm

Neo wrote:2. Perhaps have a "Recent Forum Topics" page that can be accessed from the forum index (rather than just the table under the portal)?
Tell me where on the forum index you want this and I will add it right away (its very easy) ;)
Kieran
"Indeed!"
Invaluable links: Forum Rules | Networking Guides | FAQ | Site Search | Forum Search <-- Use it or feel my wrath!
No support via PM, please ask your questions in the forum!
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:28 pm

A little table under "Who's Online" (forum.php page) [or maybe even at the top?] would be super - was hoping it was easy :D
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:02 pm

3. Edit link on CMS pages - allows people to edit pages under the CMS more quickly. I know this might be a biggie with permissions but I just want to get this one listed :wink:
Kieran
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: Suggestions box

Post by Kieran » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:27 pm

Neo wrote:1. Would it be possible to have a 'watched categories' table on the watched topics page?
This has now been implemented.

watched_forums.php

Enjoy :)
Kieran
"Indeed!"
Invaluable links: Forum Rules | Networking Guides | FAQ | Site Search | Forum Search <-- Use it or feel my wrath!
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Easier topic/thread subscription ?

Post by Shotokan101 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:43 pm

4. Would it be possible to allow members to subscribe to forums/threads/topics.... by presenting summary pages with the titles and a checkbox ?
Jim

.....I'm Sorry But I Can't Do That Dave.....
Kieran
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: Easier topic/thread subscription ?

Post by Kieran » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:48 pm

Shotokan101 wrote:4. Would it be possible to allow members to subscribe to forums/threads/topics.... by presenting summary pages with the titles and a checkbox ?
Yes, but not before the opening of the forums ;)

It involves listing descriptions of subscribed forums, and comparing the array of said forums to the array of all forums and then just presenting the ones not currently subscribed to for subscription. It also involves copying the "add watched forum" code from the viewforum.php to the watched_forums.php file. If enough people shout for this, I will do it :)
Kieran
"Indeed!"
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:13 pm

5. An extension to suggestion (1) the watched forums/categories page.

Would it be possible to have un-watched forums/categories displayed too?
Kieran
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Kieran » Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:23 pm

Yes, thats possible and something that will be done in due course (2 shouts is enough for me ;) )
Kieran
"Indeed!"
SyBorg
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by SyBorg » Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:36 pm

Hi all. Good to see so many familiar avatars :D

I joined as of 10 minutes ago so thought a few suggestions around first impressions might be useful. Feel free to ignore...

6. From the home page there is no link to Profile. It would be more intuitive to me to have a link there rather than having to go into the forums to find a link.

7. Likewise for PM. Maybe it's me :wink:

8. I like the general feel of the Forums but is it possible to make the different Forum area Titles stand out a little? It might be the way my brain works but I keep clicking on the nice orange 'Moderator Team' link rather than going into the individual forum area. I must like bright colours...

Other than that I like it :lol:
I just hope that I can be of use here as I've swapped my ASR-8400 to a Billion 7402VGP.....
We learn something every day, and lots of times it’s that what we learned the day before was wrong.
—Bill Vaughan
Kieran
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Kieran » Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:51 pm

SyBorg wrote:6. From the home page there is no link to Profile. It would be more intuitive to me to have a link there rather than having to go into the forums to find a link.

7. Likewise for PM. Maybe it's me :wink:

The links are not there because the those parts are more "website like", such as the about pages, and so it wasn't deemed the links were needed.

Would adding them to one of the "boxes" on the homepage help, or perhaps in a box of their own with other options/stats?
SyBorg wrote:8. I like the general feel of the Forums but is it possible to make the different Forum area Titles stand out a little? It might be the way my brain works but I keep clicking on the nice orange 'Moderator Team' link rather than going into the individual forum area. I must like bright colours...
Would a different colour for the link and/or italics, line below etc. help this?
SyBorg wrote:I just hope that I can be of use here as I've swapped my ASR-8400 to a Billion 7402VGP.....
All networking questions and help are welcome here - we cater for any and all router/networking equipment manufacturers :)
Kieran
"Indeed!"
SyBorg
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by SyBorg » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:00 pm

I think another box would be good.
One with a link to PM Inbox and Profile that appears if you are logged in would be good :D

In terms of the link colour, how about swapping the Title colour with the link for the Moderator Team? Make the Title Orange and the other link grey?
We learn something every day, and lots of times it’s that what we learned the day before was wrong.
—Bill Vaughan
SyBorg
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by SyBorg » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:38 pm

I just noticed that Forums with unread postings are in Orange!

Perhaps a different colour then :D. I'm sure you know what I mean.
—Bill Vaughan
Kieran
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Kieran » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:10 pm

I will see what I can do (changing individual colours starts to battle with global styles you see.

Welcome to the support team btw SyBorg :)
Kieran
"Indeed!"