WiFiDog

All about firmwares for routers. Support for RouterTech firmwares is here too.
leftcase
Novice
Novice

WiFiDog

Post by leftcase » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:07 am

Hey folks. I don't know if any of you have used, or heard of WiFiDog, but I wondered if it'd be possible to get the WiFiDog gateway up and running as an app using the routertech firmware?

Typically, the WiFDog gateway runs on a Linksys WRT54G instructions to set up here, so perhaps it'd be possible to get it up and running on a routertech supported AP?

I run a WiFiDog network at work, but for various reasons, run the gateway on old repurposed PCs at the moment. It'd be really something, if we could get it up and running on some of Solwise's kit!

What do you think?
Chris - Just Uber
SyBorg
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Re: WiFiDog

Post by SyBorg » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:00 am

leftcase wrote:Hey folks. I don't know if any of you have used, or heard of WiFiDog, but I wondered if it'd be possible to get the WiFiDog gateway up and running as an app using the routertech firmware?

Typically, the WiFDog gateway runs on a Linksys WRT54G instructions to set up here, so perhaps it'd be possible to get it up and running on a routertech supported AP?

I run a WiFiDog network at work, but for various reasons, run the gateway on old repurposed PCs at the moment. It'd be really something, if we could get it up and running on some of Solwise's kit!

What do you think?
That certainly sounds like an interesting feature. I'll leave it to the developers to comment on the possibility of including it. Can you tell us a bit more about how you are using it and what you feel the benefits of adding it to the RT firmware would be?
We learn something every day, and lots of times it’s that what we learned the day before was wrong.
—Bill Vaughan
stevew
Novice
Novice

Post by stevew » Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:02 pm

I second that. A captive portal would be a great feature.
I have previously had to run monowall in order to get a captive portal working. You can run that on embedded hardware but it's expensive. I've only run it on an old PC.

Steve
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:58 pm

Tell me in plain language what the program does, how it works, and how it is set up and configured. Then we can consider whether it is worth adding (or even whether there will be sufficient space on the router's flash for it - assuming it can be built and configured correctly in the first place).
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:07 pm

From the WiFiDog website, it seems that the WiFiDog code creates a "portal" which restricts what can be done by someone using said portal. The idea is to install WiFiDog on routers that will be used as WiFi hotspots (cafe's, clubs etc) - it provides the users with a way of accessing the Internet etc without allowing them to modify router settings, hack in to the LAN etc...

From a brief glance, WiFiDog seems to require OpenWRT, but I'm not sure about this...

I wouldn't have thought the demand for WiFiDog was that high, but it would be interesting to see how many people would like it ;)
RouterTech Team and Founding Member
RouterTech Merchandise (UK)
No support via PM, please ask your questions on the forum!
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:27 pm

It is straightforward to compile wifidog. Configuring it correctly is another matter. It also requires an authentification server. If someone wants to have a go, then I can provide the binary.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
leftcase
Novice
Novice

Post by leftcase » Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:18 pm

Hey there,

WiFiDog is as you quite rightly say captive portal software. It has benefits over - for example - nocat, as it doesn't use any client side scripting (java for instance) to get you connected. This means that you can connect more or less anything WLAN enabled device - mobile phone, PSP, laptop etc etc to you access point to get internet access. All you need on the client side is a basic web browser and a WiFi connection.

The gateway software is coded in C and a full install is 30k (although the developers indicate you can get it working in 10k).

The system consists of a gateway/s and an authentication server. The auth server provides authentication and node heartbeating, and the gateway mangles firewall rules on the router depending on whether or not the client connecting has been allowed by the auth server.

I run a production server at work (we run WiFiDog to give users access to WiFi in libraries in my city) and would be more than happy to assist on gateway and auth server configuration if so needed.

If you want to know anything else, please PM me or get back to me here. WiFiDog is a great piece of software, and it is becoming more and more common. Offering an alternative to OpenWRT firmware would be fantastic!

Cheers

Chris
Chris - Just Uber
studioeng
Experienced
Experienced

Post by studioeng » Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:20 pm

I agree this would be a smart addon for the routers; if even as just something else to tinker with.

I can see this slowly making it's up with the likes of FON.

So when is the topup credit system being introduced eg FON?? :lol:
thechief wrote:It is straightforward to compile wifidog. Configuring it correctly is another matter. It also requires an authentification server. If someone wants to have a go, then I can provide the binary.
So would be the same principle as using WPA encryption with a RADIUS server?? Since I don't know alot about these authentication servers; I'm going to ask a stupid question... Would it be possible to run a RADIUS server on the router??
leftcase
Novice
Novice

Post by leftcase » Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:24 pm

So would be the same principle as using WPA encryption with a RADIUS server?? Since I don't know alot about these authentication servers; I'm going to ask a stupid question... Would it be possible to run a RADIUS server on the router??
I'm no expert in router and firmware goodness, but wouldn't a RADIUS server be a bit fat for your average router?

WiFiDog auth server does however allow you to authenticate against a RADIUS server if you need to.
Chris - Just Uber
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:04 pm

I don't think you could run a RADIUS server on a router with 2/mb/4mb flash and 8mb/16mb ram (most of which is already used up when the router boots up).

As for wifidog, as I said, I have built it for these routers. It builds to about 120kb, because most of the libraries are statically linked, I am happy to provide the binaries, but that is as far as I can go with this.
leftcase
Novice
Novice

Post by leftcase » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:03 pm

thechief wrote:...As for wifidog, as I said, I have built it for these routers. It builds to about 120kb, because most of the libraries are statically linked, I am happy to provide the binaries, but that is as far as I can go with this.
Hey chief,

How would I go about installing this to my router then? Is it easy? I'd be willing to give it a try if you could point me towards some info ;-)

Cheers

Chris
Chris - Just Uber
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:53 pm

Download it to your router's "/var/" directory, and set its executable flag. You obviously need to have it on a web server (or run a web server (e.g., BRS Webweaver) on your local hard disk) and then use (w)get to get it into the router.
leftcase
Novice
Novice

Post by leftcase » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:57 pm

thechief wrote:Download it to your router's "/var/" directory, and set its executable flag. You obviously need to have it on a web server (or run a web server (e.g., BRS Webweaver) on your local hard disk) and then use (w)get to get it into the router.
Is the /var/ directory read write then chief? - And are any changes made to the router permanent or are they lost when you poweroff or reset?

Do you have a copy of the WiFiDog binary you compiled too please mate?

Cheers

Chris
Chris - Just Uber
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:37 pm

leftcase wrote:
thechief wrote:Download it to your router's "/var/" directory, and set its executable flag. You obviously need to have it on a web server (or run a web server (e.g., BRS Webweaver) on your local hard disk) and then use (w)get to get it into the router.
Is the /var/ directory read write then chief? - And are any changes made to the router permanent or are they lost when you poweroff or reset?

Do you have a copy of the WiFiDog binary you compiled too please mate?

Cheers

Chris
The /var/ directory is a ram disk, so it is read/write. Of course, once the router is rebooted, the contents are gone, and you need to do it all over again. Best to write a script which you can run with the autoexec.sh feature, or with the telnet scripter. In any case, the binary package is attached.
Attachments
wifidog.tar.gz
wifidog binary tarball for AR7* routers. Use at your own peril.
(78.86 KiB) Downloaded 313 times
leftcase
Novice
Novice

Post by leftcase » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:09 pm

Hey there,

Got it up and running, but unfortunately got the message:

[7][Mon Mar 19 20:00:52 2007][620](ping_thread.c:168) Reading response
v1.2.6a: can't initialize iptables table `mangle': Table does not exist (do you need to insmod?)
Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.

Hmm - perhaps v 1.2.6a of iptables doesn't support the command needed?

Never mind - it was worth a go 8)
Chris - Just Uber