dead router - please please help

All about firmwares for routers. Support for RouterTech firmwares is here too.
jimbo_may
Novice
Novice

dead router - please please help

Post by jimbo_may » Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:55 pm

I guess i got a wrong firmware for my GWAR3000 and the result i managed to make a brick, now i cant get the IP address, tried to use different softwares to scan for the IP and couldnt get it using TI Remote application version 2.1. when i power down the router i get a message on my PC saying that LAN disconnected and when i power up the brick i get LAN connected, so there must be a connection there, but how can i get the IP address so i can flash it with the right firmware.

PLEASE HELP.....Thank you
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: dead router - please please help

Post by thechief » Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:34 pm

jimbo_may wrote:I guess i got a wrong firmware for my GWAR3000 and the result i managed to make a brick, now i cant get the IP address, tried to use different softwares to scan for the IP and couldnt get it using TI Remote application version 2.1. when i power down the router i get a message on my PC saying that LAN disconnected and when i power up the brick i get LAN connected, so there must be a connection there, but how can i get the IP address so i can flash it with the right firmware.

PLEASE HELP.....Thank you
Have you followed the tips here?

viewtopic.php?t=335
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
jimbo_may
Novice
Novice

thank you

Post by jimbo_may » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:57 am

yes i fellowed it by the letter and didnt get the get anything. I guess i will connect using the serial console cable but cant find any went to different shops and didnt find any.
jimbo_may
Novice
Novice

hi chief

Post by jimbo_may » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:17 am

Thechief, i tried using pctools 25 times as you mentionned in step by step and couldnt get an IP address, i am sure there is a connectivity and the light is on when i plug RJ45...
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:46 am

If your bootloader is still alive, then you will be able to recover the router - and I can't imagine what you could have done that would have killed the bootloader, so there is hope :)

Getting the IP via the pctool is a hit and miss affair. The trick is to switch off the router, get the pctool ready, turn on the router, count up to 3 (or 4 or 5 or 6) slowly, and click on the button to retrieve the IP address.

You assigned your network a static IP address of course?

Perhaps a different version of the pctool might help? This this one:
http://mcmcc.bat.ru/dlinkt/acorp-russia ... p-dist.zip
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
jimbo_may
Novice
Novice

Hi

Post by jimbo_may » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:47 am

Hi chief, still doesnt get the IP address, i waited and counted until there was a connection, but no luck, still cant get an IP address. The reason i got this problem is that i tried to upgrade the firmware, and then all gone to this stage, i dont this the bootloader is damaged. where can i get a serial console cable ?? Thank you chief
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: Hi

Post by thechief » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:09 pm

jimbo_may wrote:Hi chief, still doesnt get the IP address, i waited and counted until there was a connection, but no luck, still cant get an IP address. The reason i got this problem is that i tried to upgrade the firmware, and then all gone to this stage, i dont this the bootloader is damaged. where can i get a serial console cable ?? Thank you chief
You should not wait until you get a connection! - by then it is too late. You only have a 3-second window when the router boots up (during which time the bootloader will be open to an ftp connection). Once that window is gone, you have to turn off the router and try again - that is why I said count up to 3/4/5/6 from turning on the router and then click on "retrieve IP address". This means that you must have the relevant screen on the pctool ready and waiting, and one hand on the mouse ready to click once you have turned on the router. The easiest way of course is to have a serial cable. However, they don't come off the shelf. You will need to build one yourself, if you know how to. Barring that, it is back to trying to get in during the 3-second window of opportunity when you turn on the router.
jimbo_may
Novice
Novice

Post by jimbo_may » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:43 pm

Mate you the man, if you are in london i will buy you a drink.
jimbo_may
Novice
Novice

Post by jimbo_may » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:45 pm

chief - last question, can u direct me to the best firmware for gwar3000
biro
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by biro » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:58 pm

jimbo_may wrote:chief - last question, can u direct me to the best firmware for gwar3000
Do you know what version of bootloader you have on the router ?

:wink: Dont expect us to recommend anything other than our own for compatible routers. :lol:
ImageImageImage
All my posts on RouterTech.org are Copyright RouterTech.org
G'Day Laura
jimbo_may
Novice
Novice

Post by jimbo_may » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:00 pm

No idea
on PCTOOL:
ADAM2 FTP server ready
does this help?
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:00 pm

I assume you were successful in recovering the router?

I am not sure whether Addon release firmware updates. The forthcoming v2 RouterTech firmwares also support some Adam2-based routers. You may wish to try it if you are feeling brave. But it seems that some Addons have the Adam2 bootloader, while some have the psp boot loader. This means you have to be sure to verify the kind of bootloader that your router has, otherwise you may end up flashing the wrong firmware onto it (and thereby get another brick).
jimbo_may
Novice
Novice

Post by jimbo_may » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:02 pm

I can try chief
For information, is there a way to get the version of bootloader ?
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:03 pm

jimbo_may wrote:No idea
on PCTOOL:
ADAM2 FTP server ready
does this help?
No, it doesn't. You need to check the environment variables, and report the values of "bootloaderversion" and "prompt" (you can do this via the pctool or via the command line - "cat /proc/ticfg/env").
jimbo_may
Novice
Novice

Post by jimbo_may » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:12 pm

Sorry chief i cant see where i can enter the command, no command line please explain further....i am newbie in here